Chili Coral

sputz

I have a non-photo chili coral that is growing,and eating well (currently eating phyto and zoo plex). It's going to outgrow the cave I made for him soon. Anyone have any experience fragging these neat corals? Also Id rather not break the rock it is on to frag it.
Thanks.

fishygurl

wow thats cool ive always heard chili coral are a hard coral to keep, so idk how to frag them and i havnt tried keeping one yet. But do you just keep buying the phyto and zoo plex? How often?

sputz

I feed every two days so yes I just keep buying it about a 8oz every 2 mths. Im not set up to culture my own, and I doubt I will want to get to that point. My chili is always open in the morning before lights come on at 10am so I feed him at that time. Sometimes it opens up at around 5 in the afternoon but that only happens a couple of times a week. He really is to tall right now for the cave but he just bends himself out and pokes the top out of the cave. Here is a close up of it at 5 in the afternoon. The flash washed the picture out so it really doesnt do it justice. So any fragging ideas would be helpful. If fragging them is a bad idea I might just move him to another cave that isn't as shaded and see how it does.
For those interested in parameters
Sal 1.023
Ph 8.1-8.3 morning/night
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Cal 440
Alk 6
2 HOB filter / skimmer
3 powerheads one pointing at general direction of the cave but not directly
When I got it they had it under 4 Metal Halides not sure the power but they were big lamps and 2 sets of pc lights and it was a little stub never opened once or inflated.