chiller for a 10g

jojo_b

I'm looking for a chiller that will provide about a 10-degree pull down in a 10g nano, so I can work with cold water species.
I've heard about a chiller made by IceProbe, but am not sure if the tanks will need to be pre-drilled. Ideally I'd like something that wouldn't need a ready-made hole.
Any suggestions?

acrylic51

Yeah the IceProbe should work for the 10 degree pull down, but you need to drill the tank or your sump to make it work....it actually fits into a bulkhead hole, don't remember off the top of my head what size hole you need, but the probe portion of the chiller sticks in the water and is held in place by a nut....HTH

marvida

Like almost everything in this hobby the answer to your question is "it depends."
You indicated that you need a 10 degree pull down. Is that 10 degrees below ambient room temperature, or is that 10 degrees down from the maximum high temp. with all heat sources in place?
An Iceprobe is a thermoelectric chiller and as such is not the most efficient chiller. They are only rated for 20 gallon tanks max. It may not have enough horsepower for your needs.
Just my .02
Good luck!

acrylic51

The units are capable of cooling 10 gallons of water 20°F below ambient temperature in an insulated tank (just a few degrees in a non-insulated tank with heavy lighting).
Pulled this from AquaticEco site on the chiller......

jojo_b

Thanks for the input!
Dogstar, when you mentioned the DIY bracket, is that mounted on the underside of the tank cover? Or is it mounted on the side of the tank?
MarVida, the draw down would be from ambient.
Acrylic51, thanks for the info; I'll go check over at AquaticEco.

dogstar

Originally Posted by Jojo_B
Dogstar, when you mentioned the DIY bracket, is that mounted on the underside of the tank cover? Or is it mounted on the side of the tank?
It would be a bracket that spans the top some how. Maybe in a corner so lights could still shine down. The bracket would have a hole in it that would hold the chiller just as a hole in the aquarium would. The probe on the chiller would stick down into the water from the top.

bojik

I know a fishstore around here that is going to be getting in some mini nano tank chiller boxes that you plumb like the larger ones. About 8" cubes. Not sure if they are capable of cooling that much though...*shrugs* there might be some other units like that out there.