Chiller life span?

yosemite sam

I have a 1/5 hp aqualogic chiller that has recently not been keeping up. I've had it about a year and a half, and generally it has worked really well, but now is struggling. It's set to come on when the temp hits 82, and goes off when it goes down to 80. In the past this has taken just an hour or two, but now it takes forever. It's in a well ventilated area, but now, two hours after the lights went off, the temp is still at 83, it can't even keep the temp at 82 now!!! It's been really hot and humid here in New York City, but when I lived in LA last year, we had hotter days, and I had 330 watts of lighting more, and it still only took a few hours to cool the tank down. What has me more worried is that the outflow water from the chiller is not that cold, only 81-82!
So I guess my question is, what is the life span of a chiller with a few hours use each day? Could my chiller be running out of refridgerant, or could it be something else? I've checked all my pumps, etc, and I can't find any extra heat source that might be heating up the tank, and the heater is completely unplugged.

teen

ive had problems with my heaters and powerheads just not working, they just go dead after a few months, maybe the inside of ur chiller is getting coroded with salt and not working as good? just an idea, i dont have one, but i know a lot of equpiment doesnt mix well with salt.

dogstar

Probly leaked out the coolant. I dont know about Alogics, but I bought an 1/4 hp old chiller from from a guy for $ 50 and took to a rifrigiration guy and he put in new coolant and a seal and the chiller works great, what a steal.

golfish

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
Dogstar, you were right. It was almost out of refrigerant, I got it filled up, and it's working good as usual.

When was the last time you had your refrigerator charged? These things shouldn't ever need to be charged unless there's a leak...