Chiller question

farslayer

I've got an Aqua Logic drop in chiller, 1/4 HP, which has worked great for about a year. Now, only the very end of the coil is cold, the rest is, well, not. I think it is due to it being covered with green algae that I've tried to scrub off to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions for a chemical solution I could use to eat this algae off, or at least loosen it up, so that I can get my tank back down to a nice cool 78 degrees? I was thinking some CLR might work, but I don't want to damage the coil. Oh, and yes, I will make sure it is nice and clean before putting it back in the tank. I just saved my bubble coral from a brush with a torch, I'm not about to poison him now!
Thanks!

R

reefermadn

Wow, I'm going to tag along on this thread because I have an Aqua Logic 1/3HP chiller. I have not had the problem you have yet but if I do I would like to see what the experts say.
In any case, You can use a 50/50 Mix of vinager & water safely with a brush to scrub with. That mixture would not harm your tank inhabitants. Still, Wait for someone more knowlegable on chillers to see if they have a better idea. :)

farslayer

Does the 50/50 mix soften up the algae pretty well, say if I soaked the coil for a few hours?
The company just told me to try and hold the coil out of the water, tip pointed towards the ceiling. They said in about a minute or so I should see frost forming. The algae-coated parts aren't cold at all, so I think that's the problem. TG it's not corraline.

R

reefermadn

Yes, It will loosen it up some. Also, Try what the comany suggests as well. Maybe between the 2, it will get all cleaned up. :)

R

reefermadn

No CLR. No Chemicals, No Soap! Nothing but vinegar and water or risk losing fish. :(

C

cmaxwell39

It sounds like you have lost some refrigerant out of your chiller. If it was just the algae, the coil would still get cold. You can try scrubbing the algae off, but I am afraid you are going to have the same problem afterwards. If so there is probably something wrong with the refrigeration circuit on your chiller.

farslayer

Yeah, I'm afraid of that. I soaked the coil in bleach/water per Aqua Logic's instructions, so tonight I have to rinse off the coil and try the "hold it with the tip to the ceiling out of the water to get frost" trick. If it doesn't work, I'm going to have a local repair person check the refrigerant.