Chiller

spafeature

Okay--I'm in NYC. Tank w.out lights is approaching 85. Have 75gal. What do you guys suggest.
Right now I have air conditioner on and a bag of ice floating in tank and tomorrow plan on a day w/out lights.
What is the least expensive chiller I can get away with?

golfish

Originally Posted by spafeature
Okay--I'm in NYC. Tank w.out lights is approaching 85. Have 75gal. What do you guys suggest.
Right now I have air conditioner on and a bag of ice floating in tank and tomorrow plan on a day w/out lights.

What's the room temp? Something isn't right if your tank temp is that high without lights. I'd find that problem before you buy a chiller..Tell a little more about your system, lights, pumps, fans...

Used

spafeature

75 Gal--
2 Coralife units each w 2/10000k 65W and 2/antinics. Have been leaving on day lights for approx 10 hours--antinics 1hr before and after.
Glass top--one unit is resting on top of it--the other has brackets (just bought new brackets for 2nd unit).
2 Powerheads (will they cause heat?)---seaclone skimmer and an under the tank filter (all bio--no charcol).
No fans (except for the fans in coralife fixtures).

yosemite sam

Yeah, it's getting hot here in the city. One thing that would really help is getting rid of the glass tops. Find some way to hang the lights, keeping the glass tops is going to limit evaporation.

golfish

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
One thing that would really help is getting rid of the glass tops. .

That's probably the main problem...lose those and add a fan or two.

druluv

Look into pacific coast chillers. the cheapest I have seen for your tank is about 350 - 400 dollars

tony detroit

Lots of fans on the surface of the water, rather in the sump or the tank, doesn't matter. They can drop a tank a couple degrees no problem.

golfish

Lets not forget the old saying "you get what you pay for" I've seen a lot of those cheap imports and there no where near as good as the USA made models. Make sure you buy one big enough.

wax32

And yes, power heads add heat to your system. I had 2 MJ1200's in my tank and turning them on added 3 degrees easy.

ophiura

I agree with getting rid of the glass tops (go with eggcrate), suspend your light somehow, and get FANS!!!
Anything running in the tank gives of waste energy as "heat" so powerheads, pumps, filters, etc....
I wouldn't do the bag of ice thing in this situation. You don't want the temp to drop quickly or create major temperature differences in areas in the tank. Also room temperature is a good question....

spafeature

I'm down to 81.5
If I start my lights later in the day 2-9pm it is much better--they are off during hot hot time.
what do you mean by egg crates? only problem w/no galss cover is the cats!

junkiebeas

Post your email and i tell you the best one. Really cheap and works really well. Three degrees drop down in tow min. Thats power!

tthemadd1

I recently purchased a Aqua Medic yeah yeah I know its made in china not happy about it. These things are expensive after all was said and done, new lines, pump, chiller I think I spent around $600.00. The only problem with it is that it is kind of loud. Not a big deal though I got my temp down from 88-90 to 78 in about 4 hours. I think I saved my corals which is worth the money. THOSE get even more expensive to replace....
Its a 1/2 horse on a 55 gal. I went big so I could use it in the future on a bigger tank.

draczka2

im in buffalo, and my tank was around 85-86 on sunday. samething i put ice in it and turned lights off. i made my canopy, and right now it holds 260watt pc retro in it. i plan on mh when my tank finishes cycling. any way i installed my 2 4" fans and cut vents over may ballasts, and no problems now. room can get up to 82 and my tank hasn't got above 80. i do have a ac window unit on standby, just in case

junkiebeas

Pacific Coast 1/10 hp. CL 280. Best little one. $339.95. Don't let the small size fool you. I know somebody that using this litlle guy on a 150 gal. Drop 6º in 10 min. We are in Puerto Rico preaty hot down here.

tthemadd1

That is a really fast drop. Mine kicks on about every hour to bring the temp back down. I am sticking at 79-80. That is a good temp isnt it?

druluv

Originally Posted by tthemadd1
That is a really fast drop. Mine kicks on about every hour to bring the temp back down. I am sticking at 79-80. That is a good temp isnt it?
That's a good temp, during the summer, I make my chiller (pacific coast) hold my tank at 82 - 83 degrees.