Chillers

ncabw

just trying to figure out how a chiller works. I understand for warmer days it keeps your tanks temp in line. So are you suppose to run your heaters higher so that the chiller kicks in. or is it just for when your lighting heats up your tank.

t316

Heaters are for when the water temp drops too low...has nothing to do with the chiller. The chiller is to keep your water at that same temp, when it trys to climb higher. This could be due to lights, summer weather, etc. The heater is self explanatory...it kicks in and gets hot, warming up the moving water around it when it senses that the temperature has dropped below the setting that you desire. A chiller is much like a refridgerator, in that it senses when the temp rises above your desired setting, thus turning on. But most chillers have "lines" that pass the tank water thru them, and "cools" the water as it passes, then returning the water to your tank.

t316

Originally Posted by ncabw
http:///forum/post/2892765
so you could purchase one and it may never turn on if your tank never spikes in tempature.
Correct.
So the obvious conclusion is....if you don't have a "major" problem with high temps...don't get a chiller. It wouldn't be worth it. If you only have minor temp changes, there are other ways to deal with it. Personally, I do run a chiller 24/7, but I have a lot of lights, to say the least, and I was not able to control my high temps with the other measures.
What kind of problems are you dealing with, or are you just inquiring?

al mc

Originally Posted by ncabw
http:///forum/post/2892765
so you could purchase one and it may never turn on if your tank never spikes in tempature.
Yes. Most people need them when using lights that give off tremendous amounts of heat (metal halides) or if their homes temperature routinely are over 75 or so degrees. In many situations a simply fan will work.

ncabw

I was just inquiring. how do u keep track of your temperature during the day. i doubt u check it every hour???

t316

I don't. I have a digital thermometer in the sump that displays the temp, but I have to manually look at it. You will know fairly quickly if you are going to have a problem....Example, you have a temp of 78 in the morning, then 85 when you get home from work. But if it's just a few degrees one way or the other, don't worry about it. It's not so much the temp that's the problem, rather quick changes in the temp. This is why we try to stabilize somewhere in the middle and keep it there.

spiderwoman

For example our chiller (for the 150g reef) has a built in temp control and it automatically kicks in when the temp gets within 0.2 F the high level that I've set.
I also have 24/7 check on the temperature with AquaController III that will start turning off the MH lighting one at a time if for what ever reason the temp isn't lowered by the chiller and it reachers the max temp set by me.

nordy

My chiller (current usa) has a digital gauge and also has an integrated output for a heater so it's pretty much set and forget it once I got the heater settings dialed in.

snakeblitz33

I've never used a chiller. I've had great reefs run at 86 degrees! As long as you keep the temp stable, you shouldn't have to worry!

t316

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2892818
I also have 24/7 check on the temperature with AquaController III that will start turning off the MH lighting one at a time if for what ever reason the temp isn't lowered by the chiller and it reachers the max temp set by me.
Now that's pretty cool Spidey....
I knew your equipment, but maybe just didn't catch the fact that this is what this controller does. Very interesting.

V

vince-1961

I use a dual stage temperature controller. When the water gets below 76 the controller sends electricity to the heater. When the water gets above 79, it sends electricity to the chiller. With this set up, it is not possible to run the heater and the chiller at the same time and I know that my water temperature will always be between 76 and 79 (assuming, of course, that the heater and chiller are powerful enough to heat/chill the system adequately.)