Chipped 50 gallon

F

fishkid1000

I just bought a 50 gal. On one of the edges there is a little chip. There is no hole. ne side of the glass overlaps it. Will this tank leak when i fill it?

mr . salty

It will probably be OK,but just to be sure try filling it with fresh water and let it sit for a couple days...
You should do this anyway to clean it out before you set it up..Use a very small ammount of bleach in the water to aid in cleaning...You could also test for copper after it sits for a couple days before you add the bleach...
Just be sure to rinse it out till you dont smell the bleach anymore...Then let it sit another day or two dry to be sure the bleach is gone before setting it up for salt...

wamp

My 180 had a chip in it. Never had any problems out of it. All-Glass sid that if it was on the outside of the tank and not where the silicone was, it would be fine.
Like Salty said, test it first though..

hairtrigger

Ahhh yes, follow the sharks' advice. My Oceanic 200 has a chip from when I moved it. My dumba$$ is too small to be lifting heavy things like that.
Also, we moved it on the stand cause we were too lazy to lift it twice. See what happens when you slack off with your tank? :D
If it's a new tank... take it back. But, I assume it's not, that's why you're asking.

F

fishkid1000

No its a new tank. If its not gonna leak then i am not taking it back. If itdoes well I have a 5 year warrenty.

gregzbobo

I bumped the edge of mine with one of those 6 cell mag flashlites and chipped it right in the seam. Its a tiny chip though, and its held water for at least 2 years. What gets me though is when I first bought the tank and got it home and took it out of its packing, I noticed two big honkin scratches on the front glass, one about 3 inches long, the other about an inch and a half. Dummy me I didn't take the tank back for a replacement. I had already waited on this tank for a month and a half. Long story short, I never even notice those scratches anymore, they are there if I look for them, but I'm so used to them I see "around" them. :). Anyhoo, you DID pay good money for that tank, were I you, I'd take it back and get another one. If it DOES leak, the manufacturer might turn around and say the chip was your fault and not honor the warranty, you never know.

killyah

return the tank and get another one! why have a chipped one when you can get one thats not?:confused: -i would bring it back-