Chiton Reproduction

mossad327

How common is chiton reproduction in the aquarium? I just looked in my tank, and there's tons of little babies all over the place. Do chitons reproduce sexually or asexually? Hermaphrodites or not?

sammystingray

I have never seen it happen, but I believe the sexes are separate, and the female will lay eggs after receiving sperm from a male via the water column??.....then lay eggs like a snail. I'm not sure though....so don't take it as 100% fact.

attml

I had 1 or 2 Chitons that came in as hitchhikers on my LR about a year ago. Now I have at least 5 or 6 in my tank of different sizes and colors so I am assuming they are reproducing? The Chitons will borrow in my sand and I can see them along the edge of glass under the sand. It maybe possible that they are laying eggs in the sand bed?

nm reef

I had a few as hitchhikers from a 45 lb box of Walt Smith uncured LR purchased about 2 years ago(at least I assume they came with this LR)...I now have numerous chitons throughout my display and refugium...so my guess is they tend to breed in captivity fairly well. Just out of curiousity I tried a google search for "chiton reproduction" and came up with this link ...states that they are of seperate sexes. So check it out...it may very well answer your question.:cool: