choclatechip star fish safe for crabs,shrimp,slugs,lr

bbreaux1

just wondering if the choclatechip star fish is safe for these things ive read in someplaces they are and others they are not.any suggestions on some good starfish to keep in a tank thatll stir the sand and look ok?

vkesu

I have no personal experience with them, but have never read anything positive about them either. NOT REEF SAFE. Try the search engine to locate other info.

joe5_15

no your wrong lettheirberockif you have ever had one you would think the same, they are reef safe they wouldnt ever even go around your corals or anything all they do is stay at the top of the water level and algae and brine shrimp, and for a treat silversides

sduerk

I have a chocolate chip and he is all over the tank. He has never, I guess, "attacked" any of my inverts...snails, crabs, shrimp. He is on the live rock, at the top of the tank, on the sand and loves a treat every now and then. ;)

My experience with these terrible star fish is bad i had 2 in my 55 gallon reef and is about 2 weeks he killed half of my green hairy shrooms and ate i repeat ATE my smaller bubble tip anenome and this of coursed cause me to take them back and i will never get another one in my life now i only deal wiht blue linkia ornage and sandsifters. STAY AWAY :mad: :mad: :mad:
Jay

I have two of them and have had no probs with them. If they go near a coral they lift their legs and go around it. Never bothered anything. But if you get one or have one keep an eye on it to be sure. Not all people will have the same results.

daluminum

Im getting one in the tank I'm about to buy. he is almot 8".. the lady Im getting the tank from said he never touched any of the coral's she use to have but all of the coral's dies. the yellow tang was the suspect.. but the Choc wasnt out of the picture.. Im curios rather I should put the choc star in the tank I will be making into a reef.. or into the tank I will be making into an agrresive tank..

If I was you I would not get one. These starfish are carnivores. While they may not bother you crabs, shrimps, etc. (probably because they can't get ahold of them) but they will eat on corals and eat the coraline algae off of lr. I have tried to put one in my tank twice. The first time it destroyed all the coraline algae on my lr and ate almost the entire base of my colt coral while I was at work. The second time I put one in my tank he went right for my mushroom polyps so I just took him out. A cool starfish to get instead of that one would be the african starfish. I've read that they are reef safe and know a couple of people who have them and say they have never bothered anything in their tank. They are also very pretty.

predator

Like everything in life there are always exceptions.But for the sake of argument they are not reef safe.And Chevron Tang is right.Those African Star fish are in my eyes alot prettier than the Choclate Chip and there reef safe.They are identical in body shape but the Africans come in bright red's and blues.As opposed to brown and black.

predator

Oh, and I'v never heard of a yellow tang eating corals.I have two in my tank, know of plenty of others who have them and been around this board for a little while and never read anything about yellow tangs eating corals.So I personally would rule the tang out in the death of her corals.Though sin=mole negelct and or the star fish are prime suspects in my eyes.Just mt 2 cents.

kimmisue

Look for a sand sifter star fish(burrowing(sp) star)
They are out there and are very cheap. I have one in my 55 and he keeps the sand very clean. REEF SAFE
Hope this helps
Kim :D

bbreaux1

i think ill get a brittle start or red serpent star once that time comes. anyone here got the cleanup crew package from swf? im thinking about getting the one with i think its like 20 of each of the red and blue hermits and 30 snails then 2 emerald crabs and 2 cleaner shrimp. kinda sounds like alot of hermits for a 55gal though

julie

I would agree, that the cc stars are bad news for corals and inverts. I personally watched the cc star attack my featherduster. It seems as though anything new put into the tank (invert wise) it seeks it out.

daluminum

Im going to put a well behaved 6" choc into a tank with a wrasse, some damsels, a huma, and maybe a lion.. for inverts Im going to have only large 3" hermits.. I dont think he will eat these.. hopefully noone will eat him and he will leave my coralline alone. thats the only thing Im worried about..
If he does.. anyone want to buy a 6" choc starfish? :D

daluminum

I think he might.. I wouldnt be suprised if he did.. Ill just have to watch.. its a tricky situation.. but Im almost certain the star will eat everything in a reef tank.. so we will see.. hehe.. he might get to be a refugium fish..
:p

krusk

I would like to get a cc from this site too but it said "Please expect the delay about 1 week on any new order placed."
I would rather wait for them to get back with their normal shipping routine.