chocolate chip star

nicole05

my chocolate star looks like he has been nibbled on, on another thread the water quality was questioned ph 7.8
nitrate 0
ammonia.50
nitrite 0
hydrometer reads 23-25
am i killing my favorite little guy?

pfitz44

Yup!
yout water quality is definitly too poor for a CC Star... there should be zzero ammonia, and pH needs to be at 8.3 or so. the SG, are you talking 1.023-1.025, or 23-25??? but your SG should not be less than 1.025 with inverts.
How long has your cycle been done for?? whats your alk and calcium readings?

joshradio

I know it's a cheating method, but pick up some of Kent Marine Ammonia Detox.... if it smells like a skunk, you've got the right one.... it works in a pinch, and you're in a pinch!

bs21

in the other post i think you said that tank has been up for a month. Im thinking that your cycle hasn't finished.

merredeth

Originally Posted by nicole05
my chocolate star looks like he has been nibbled on, on another thread the water quality was questioned ph 7.8
nitrate 0
ammonia.50
nitrite 0
hydrometer reads 23-25
am i killing my favorite little guy?
Your temperature is too cold in my opinion and you should bump it up to about 82 degrees. You are going to have todo this slowly since it is on the low side.
Your PH is off so I'd bump that to about 8.2 and I'd invest in a refract rather than use a hydometer as they are very inaccurate.
Also, your tank needs to be well established. If you try to put a chocolate chip in a new tank (I'd have waited about a year) then you have a better chance for survival.
You also need to lose the ammonia, so I'd do a water change right off the top.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by nicole05
should i add some salt in fresh water and add it to it or do a complete water change 25% 10%?
20% to start and then check it later on in the day.
To check for alk and calcium, you can buy test kits.
I don't know how big your tank is and how much live rock you have. About 1.0 to 1.5 pounds of live rock per gallon of water is normal. Since I don't know how much live rock you have or the size of your tank I don't know if you need more or not.
I would suggest not adding anything else until water parameters are normal. If you buy live rock, put it in a plastic tote with a powerhead and heater for a few weeks, and monitor levels before adding it to the tank.
Denise M.

ophiura

IMO, the tank is cycling, and the really best thing to do would be to find other homes for these animals while that happens. You really want the tank to cycle properly.

nicole05

thanks for all the input i thought that there would be an easy way to save this starfish i am finding out that this not the case i do not have the option of taking them to another home the pet stores in my area are not very knowledable about saltwater fish and feel like they would have a better chance in my tank i know my levels are not exactly right as of now but they will and my other fish seem to be doing great they eat good and swim around constantly its just the starfish that seems to be having a problem