bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump
bump

famous

I cut off a piece of shrimp from the store and set mine on top of it, he loves it. I only do it about once a week but ive never had a problem with him not eating the quarter piece of shrimp.

michaeltx

they are opertunistic feeders eating anything and everything they can. but mine always ate raw shrimp pieces and wouldnt touch the krill.
as an obvious though they also eat corals and other life in the rocks they can catch.
mike

sea slug

Originally Posted by Dave Flood
the fuzzy stuff usually means there dieing, and you have to feed them.
Bull $#¡+

I've had mine for a year and it has fuzzy stuff on top, and apparently this fuzz is on everybody's CC star, and unless there is some
"wide-spread starfish epidemic going arround" i dont think that the stars are in any clear and present danger.
(the fuzzy stuff is part of the starfish)
my orange linka has it on him too

reefkprz

try giving your CC star a clam. I used to do that for the ones in our pet store they loved it. I reccomend flushing the clam in your tank water for 24 hours before feeding to your SF. SF do love clams our were always healthy. (darn things never sold they just sat there and ate.. for months. I would just scoop out a specimin container of water from our tanks and put it in the fridge then acclimate tghe clam to it so it didnt die. then waited 24 hours then fed it to the SF. THere is moderate concern about forein parasites from doing this as the clams I was feeding were Coldwater. but maybe I got lucky or they are really durable and resistant to that sort of thing. good luck with your Star

ophiura

Definitely feed this star

It is impossible to know without a picture what is going on. YOu all can be talking about the same thing, or you can be talking about different things.
But yes, seastars have, to a greater or lesser degree, outpocketings of skin that form little sacs. These are called dermal branchiae or papulae and are effectively gills of sorts.
If you use google images and search for "seastar papulae" you should see what you are talking about. It this is not what you are talking about, then we have a different issue :)

sleasia

my cc stars (I have two) neither have ever had fuzzy stuff on them? One did get whitish on the chips and I thought it was because of a high calcium...then a few weeks later I caught my spotted puffer nibbling on it. the puffer later committed suicide and jumped from the tank one night...since then the star has "healed" and has nice and dark brown "chips". but it never had "fuzzy" stuff on it.? :notsure:

ophiura

You really have to look closely, and at a particular angle, to see what I think they are talking about. In addition, I suspect there is individual variation.
If you look closely at this Red African star, a close relative, you can see this "fuzziness" or the papulae.

beadmaker

yup papulae. My star came to the top yesterday so I fed it a piece of clam. I had to hold it there for a few minutes until it grabbed it. very very slow mover. It sat there hanging half off upside down. It took it all day but it disolved the whole piece of meat.

reefkprz

I would reccomend against feeding it freshwater fish because they are nutritionaly devoid. A lot of health issues can arise from feeding freshwater fish to marines (usually malnutrition). you dont have to worry about parasites though because they dont jump Phylum (as far as I know). stick to clams and other marine feeders like silversides.

taznut

Originally Posted by ophiura
You really have to look closely, and at a particular angle, to see what I think they are talking about. In addition, I suspect there is individual variation.
If you look closely at this Red African star, a close relative, you can see this "fuzziness" or the papulae.
thanks this is what mine has on it... but it is all over and very obvious...