Chocolate Chip Start And Anenome

bas12547

I didn't think that a Chocolate Chip star and an Anenome would work since the Chocolate Chip Star is not reef safe.
I have seen others that list them as co-existing. Can I get an Anenome if I have a CC Star?
Does an Anenome add to my bio load.?
Brian

carrie1429

I had a purple tip sebae anemone with a chocolate chip starfish and my star tried to eat the anemone, least thats what it looked like he was doing. They are all different so some will eat anemones and some won't.

right now I have a chocolate chip and anemones and no problems, IMO I dont think that chocolate chip starfish will eat anemones but they are able to eat shrooms and scallops and others so just be sure to keep them well fed.

ophiura

There is no simple calculation that anyone can give you. You simply must realize that all animals produce waste, and you therefor can not add an indefinite number of inverts without adding to the bioload.
The "Bio" means all living things and "load" means the number or "weight" of them. So the term simply means the number of living things in the tank. Obviously, whatever you add affects this. Those that produce a lot of ammonia based waste (and CO2) are animals...algae produce oxygen (and CO2 as most living things do) but also help remove some of the nitrogen compounds produced by the breakdown of animal waste.
There is a balance in the tank. Too many animals or too much food leads to an increase in algae to balance the excess waste. There is a balance, but no set equation to follow.
The only thing to know is that all living things in the tank add to bioload. In a closed system, you can not simply keep adding to the bioload without the system crashing. To much bioload means too much nitrogen based waste, leading to a system crash (another way to get to this end is overfeeding, which also leads to an overproduction of nitrogen based waste).
I know you may want a general equation like 1" of inverts per whatever, but this doesn't work. The rule for fish isn't much more than a very basic guideline either.

bas12547

I understand that they produce waste.
Perhaps I can ask this in a different way.
I have a 30 G with two clowns about 1.5 inches each, one purple dottyback (skinny, .75 inches long), two damsels, one Chocolate Chip Star, three small snails, and two small hermit crabs. I have about 1.5 inches of LS, 15 pounds of LR, and about two pounds of base rock.
All the following readings were just prior to a water change that I did at one month.
Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
PH = 8.2
Nitrate = 5
Think I could add a Anenome?
Thanks,
Brian

ophiura

Again, there is no mathematical way to determine this. I don't think all of the fish are a good choice, especially the damsels. Adding an anemone can make clowns very aggressive as well. But none of those fish sound like they are full grown, so that will need to be considered.
Anyway, what sort of lighting do you have? Water chemistry means nothing if you don't have the lights for it. I reckon you could have an anemone, though the chocolate chip might indeed go for it (especially if the star is not properly fed).
What sort of anemone do you want? Might be good to start a new thread specifically on that. Some are not good for tanks in this size range.

bas12547

I know that I do not have the proper lighting yet.
I was hoping I would get some input from others.
Thanks,
Brian