Chopping up a Toadstool

W

winstew

I have a huge toadstool. It has a 8" canopy and a 7" stalk. I like the big canopy but it is just to tall. My question is... Can I cut about 4" off the stalk? Will it re-attach itself to the rock? Is there any danger that it won't make it?
-TIM

whitey_028

you should be ok it will regrow, Corals are similar to plants the more you chop the faster they grow, you may need to superglue to a different rock as the first foot will regrow into a new one and you will end up with 2 toadstools. Ill take one:)

fishgeek01

as whitey said if you cut it both should do fine, however there is always the chance that neither will or that only one will, i have been told to add a little extra iodine when doing this because it helps them heal, but i also know you can over do the iodine, so ask around first, i add just a little extra when i make cuttings or frags, but not much at all not enough to really raise my levels to high

gtiguy

I recently just fragged my Toadstool, was about 5-6 inches long with a huge shroom on top and what i did was just cut righ through the base of it like cutting across a peice of paper...well in about 4 months now i have a smaller version of the bigger one from the old original stalk, and the original reattached itself to another rock i put it on and is almost the same size again as when i fragged it....might have to do it again lol ...

ninjamini

I did mine some time ago. Its easier than you think. Just use a clean razor and cut. Cut it up as small as you like. This is tough stuff.

oceana

Originally Posted by Winstew
Well I guess its time to cut the tree
all above is correct. a quick side note dont cut it in your tank. toadstools can let go a rather nasty toxin that can damage some corals