Christmas Tree Worm Rock Hitchhikers

mossad327

I just bought some Christmas tree worm rock. I'm acclimating it right now, but stuff is already starting to come out. However, along with the worms, I'm noticing at least two shrimp living inside some worm holes. They're real small (they fit inside the worm holes) and are white with brownish-gray stripes on them. Their front "legs" where they usually have pincer sort of things look more like curved paddles used for swimming and their antennae are dark red. Does anybody have any clue what they could be? I don't have a digital camera or I would attach a pic. If they completely come out later, I'll add more to the description.

mossad327

Mine's not colorful at all. It's just a bland white with those stripes. It also doesn't have the big typical mantis eyes.

mossad327

Would it be possible that there are multiple mantises in one rock? None of them are larger than maybe an inch, and that's probably stretching it. Are there any other ways to tell? Would the mantises be out in the open like that? I always got the impression that they hid all the time.

sgt__york

OMG - i had a thread going about a shrimp like create inside one of my recently aquired gargonia. It sounds a lot like what is being desribed here. He is ALL white - 2 large antenna. Unfort, i can't get a pic either.
As i understand it, the mantis is VERY undesirable??? if so - what kind of reproduction do they have? I would assume i need to get it out asap. Would i just remove the gargonia from the water and cut the tip (or branch) of the gargonia that he is housed in?
Can someone post a pic of one of these mantis - or anything else they think it might be?

sgt__york

I assume a peacock is different than a mantis tho? What does a mantis look like?? Also, anyone who has some ideas about the "WHITE shrimplike" creature as described above on the Xmas tree rock - would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like the same thing that is parasiting on my gargonia as well.

mossad327

I know it's not a peacock (very bland coloring) and almost positive it's not any kind of mantis because it doesn't have the stereotypical mantis eyes.

dockery07

Keep them they are very cool. I have them in mine. They will never come out of the hole and are totally filter feeders. The brown little arms you see will have fans on them. I have had mine for about 7 months and they have never been out of the hole.