Christmas Tree Worms

terasparrow

Hello
I was wondering what kind of lighting Spirobranchis giganteus, or Christmas tree worms would require? I have a double strip T5 compact flourecent HO lamp with one 54 W Actinic Blue and one 54W, 18,000 K powerglo, would that be enough?
Thanks, Tera

anonome

Should be just fine. They are beautiful. Just be sure you have no worm eaters. Butterflies, in particular.

terasparrow

I have a copperband butterfly and a six line wrasse, will these guys be a problem? My copperband has eaten the little pest anemones, is this a good indication that he will eat the christmas tree worms too?

mx#28

Christmass tree worms are non-photosynthetic, but the porites coral they come encrusted in requires rather high lighting. The worms will need a lot of small planktonic food to survive long term - they are difficult to maintain.

mx#28

Originally Posted by TeraSparrow
http:///forum/post/2457849
I have a copperband butterfly and a six line wrasse, will these guys be a problem? My copperband has eaten the little pest anemones, is this a good indication that he will eat the christmas tree worms too?
Yes, they copperband will be a problem as he will gladly eat any of the tube worms.

terasparrow

Damn
They were my favorite thing while scuba diving in Thailand...so he will also eat feather duster too? haha thanx for the info...I wont buy them then, even though i would love to have a few..