chromis lost an eye

amymiami

Problem: Over the last few day i have watch one of my chromis right eye disappear! at first it had a whiteish growth over the eye. the LFS said it was just an eye infection and it will probably go away on it's own. well i look at it again today and it looks like the whole eye is now gone! the growth on top seemed to be smaller, but it looks liek the eye ball underneath is gone!
aside from the eye thing the fish is completely normal, eating well, swimming all the time, playing with his chromis buddies, allthe things normal chromis do. they eat brine, marine diet, zooplankton, all with a little bit of zoe. we've had these chromis for a month or so, but don't have a quarantine tank. we haven't really dont too much for the eye problem, assumed the infection would go away like the LFS said, not the whole eye ball!
the tank is a 55 reef (well starting a reef). amonia, nitrates and nitrites are 0 or virtually 0. salinity is at 0.0023. temp is 80 degrees. we have 60 lbs of live rock, a sand sifting star, burgundy linkia star, flame angel, 3 chromis total, skunk shimp, banded shrimp, and a horsecrab. we also have 3 or 4 different types of mushrooms, a little xenia, star and button polyps.
suggestions? please help. I know it's not an expensive fish but if ther is something i can do i'd like to save it.
thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Infections rarely go away on their own for fish in capacity. If the fish had the ability to fight infection, symptoms would not have evolved to such an extent.
Is it possible that the fish is being harrassed?? You will really need to quarantine the fish and treat it with antibiotics. I know it is a hassle, but the truth is fish need to be QTed prior to introducing it to a display.
If you do not want to QT, you can dry enhancing the fishes' diet with more variety and soaking the fish food in a good supplement. Zoecon for instance.

amymiami

thanks,
i'll try to quarantine it. any suggestions on how to catch it? it seems to know what the net's all about.
thanks again