Chromis

calaxa

Cheap, hardy, relatively peaceful. Can have a nice schooling effect. They're not the most pretty but for usually under $3, they're not bad.

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist, although the green chromis' can be hardy. They also can be difficult to keep . If your water isn't just right for them,they'll die off one by one. On the other hand,when you buy a school of them together,the strong ones will kill off the weak. Oh Yes, this happens with all damsels . Once the green chromis' are established within the aquarium,they're beautiful to watch as they swim in different patterns and compete for food.Green Chromis' are also very peaceful towards other fish. Enjoy the hobby...

pipsqueak

I used to have 6 blue chromis. Now I have 2. They started out schooling nicely but I think as they grew the larger ones started picking off the smaller ones. I like the schooling effect and was wondering if I could add more blue or green chromis to the tank. Will the bigger already established chromis just kill them off or will the new chromis be accepted and the schooling begin again? Does anyone one know or has anyone tried this?

blueknight

I would also like to know, i'm thinking about adding 3-4 green chromis to my 100g tank. As of now the fish i have:
1 brown tang, 3 years old
1 clearner wrasse, 2 years old
2 ocellaris clownfish, 8 months old
thinking about adding a Lionfish after the green chromis.
Thanks,

fishygurl

i bought 5 many months ago. 1 went missing after a month. But now they are all fine and have grown a lot.
Make sure to feed them a lot.. they are pigs!

sean48183

I originally added 5 a couple years ago and 1 died 2 days later from ich and the other died about 4 months ago when I added a sick emporer without qting. None of them died from each other. Still have 3 and they have grown quite large. In your 150g you could add alot depending on the load in the tank already. If load is light you could add 20. If load is heavy would stick to 5.

wangotango

It's not that they die off because they're delicate. They die off one by one because they slowly pick each other off until only one or two dominate fish remain.
You could give it a shot. I've read articles saying that keeping them well fed keeps them away from each other, and other articles saying that you should feed them as little as possible so they don't have the energy to constantly chase and harass each other.
If you want a nice peacful shoaling fish look into glass cardinals IMO.
-Justin

aquaknight

Blue/green chromis have been the perfect QT dither fish. By themselves, or 2/3 in a larger QT (my 55gal) they've helped some of my more delicate fish adjust, learn how to eat, etc.
Unfortunately, larger Triggers and large Wrasses (Lei/Lunare) think they are food, and both claimed chromis they shared tanks with.