cichlid info?

firefish9

Does anybody with expirence with African lake malawi sorry for spelling, have info on their tank requirments(tanksize tankmates etc.)

michaeltx

absolutely they will terrorize everything else in the tank.
I have one in with my oscars that I have to break my 100 gallon tank down to get him out he bullies my oscar that easly 4 times his size!!! the oscar could eat him!!! no joke there are mean little buggars.
mike

pontius

they are very comparable to damsels in size and demeanor.
they should only be kept with other malawi cichlids or with synodontis catfish, which are about the only other fish they'll ignore.
the great thing about them is that they LOVE to be packed together. this allows them to share the hate so that no one particular fish gets bullied to death. I have approximately 60 malawi cichlids in a 135 gallon.
aside from being mean to each other, they are GREAT 'people fish'. they'll come out and beg for food and they'll eat out of your hand (and they'll also bite your hand, but it doesn't hurt). several of mine will swim right into my hand and let me pick them up out of the water.
they are very easy to breed, but you have to be carefull of them hybridizing as this is frowned upon in most cichlid circles.
they are pretty hardy as long as you keep the right conditions and keep enough of them together (again, they love a lot of company from fellow malawi cichlids).
the PH should be 8.2 (just like saltwater) and Lake Malawi is slightly saline (barely noticeable really, but the cichlid salt really makes their colors shine). they eat mostly spirulina (again, similar to many saltwater fish) and brine/mysis shrimp.
they're fun fish and they're low maintenance. and most of them are fairly cheap.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by firefish9
What would be the minnum tank size for some?
It depends on how many you want to keep. What are your tank size options?

pontius

What would be the minnum tank size for some?
I'd think the minimum number you'd want to keep so they'd stay healthy and happy is 6-10 fish. so for that, I'd say a minimum of 25-30 gallons.

firefish9

Originally Posted by Pontius
I'd think the minimum number you'd want to keep so they'd stay healthy and happy is 6-10 fish. so for that, I'd say a minimum of 25-30 gallons.

for life? The largest I could go would be 55. How should I aquascape?

firefish9

Well than use the 30 for breeding livebearers thats what I'm doing with in extra 10 we could swap some fish.
Can lake tangikia again sorry for spelling be kept in a tank like the Malawis
I've heard they are more interesting is this true?

pontius

Can lake tangikia again sorry for spelling be kept in a tank like the Malawis
I've heard they are more interesting is this true?
it's not normally recommended to keep malawis and tangs together. the only reason I could think of that people may say that tangs are more interesting is that maybe because there is more of a variety of cichlids in Tanganyka whereas in Malawi, you only get mbuna and haps. but no, I don't think the tangs behavior is anymore interesting. though many of them may not be quite as mean as mbuna. but I prefer the Malawis.
the water conditions in Malawi and Tang are very similar, so they technically COULD be kept together, but you get into the "language difference" and fish from two different large lakes not understanding each other. when you add that to the agressiveness of cichlids, it's probably not advisable.

firefish9

I could keep different species of Malawis together right. Like 6 electric blue malawis and 6 electric yellow ones.

pontius

I could keep different species of Malawis together right. Like 6 electric blue malawis and 6 electric yellow ones.
yes. now if you have different fish from the same family (like Pseudotropheus Socolofi and Pseudotropheus Damasoni), they will hybridize. but yes, different cichlids from Malawi can be kept together. you can have mbuna (the most common), haps, and peacocks. just do research because there are several different haps that grow large and are predatory.