cinnamon colored algae

gotfish

Started my 90 gallon tank about three weeks ago.
today for the first time I noticed an algae that is the color of cinnamon on some of my lr and in small patches on the sand
Is this OK and What is it?

flobskey

ya, it's fine, my tank grew a green algae, then brown, then red. I just needed a protien skimmer. Is your tank next to a window? if it is, that can grow alot of algae.

krishj39

Oh yeah, lovely cyanobacteria (AKA blue green algae). Yup, very normal to have that algae. It will go away on it own, but it is still ugly isn't it? I'm dealing with it right now too. I just put up a post asking how to take care of it. I was informed of 3 ways to get rid of it faster than letting it run it's own course.
First is to turn off the lights, it dies off really fast in the dark (day or 2).
Second, is to add mexican turbo snails (not the regular turbos). As long as you are through your cycle and your water is good, you can add them. They are supposed to be by far the best at eating it away.
Third is to treat it with chemicals, such as Red Slime Remover. Chemicals, of course, being a last resort.
So, hope that helps and goes on to answer the next questions you would have had :D Thanks to everyone who replied to my post and gave me this info to pass on!
Kris