circulation and algae?

knots

Does lack of circulation cause algae to grow in a tank? I have a deep fish only tank (28") and brown and green algae is growing on the sand and bottom rocks. I am not using a powerhead, only a Magnum 350 which I change the carbon once a month. You can tell by the fish and food that there is some movement on the bottom but not sure there is enough. Tank has been up for about 7 months and algae has always been a problem. I have always used r/o water. I have a cleaning crew which includes about 10 different kinds of snails ( including 4 turbos) and 8 to 10 hermits and they don't even put a dent in it. It's an odd shaped tank and the only lights I could get to fit is 2-20 watt 50/50 mini compact with 10,000K and actinic blue each. So the light probably doesn't reach the bottom to well. I can't figure out why I get so much algae. Any help would be much appreciated.

dmc888

Water movement helps wash away waste and sediments that promote algea growth.
Powerheads can also make your filter to be more effective by sending waste towards it.
Fish will be much happier swimming in the current.

capt.lunch

Water movement is a key item, however, Algea feeds on nitrate and phosphate. A good skimmer, adequate live rock, and regular water changes will help keep those levels in check and help eliminate algea bouts.

who dey

what kind of fish? if possible add an herbavore ie yellow tang, they will eat that stuff all day long. they solved my diatom problem

knots

I'm going to try a powerhead tomorrow. I didn't realize fish would like that much water movement. Nitrates are always 10 to 20, don't think they have ever been 0, but never been higher than about 20 either. I don't know about phosphates and i've read the phosphate test kits don't work. Tank is way too small for a tang. The tang police would flame me for sure.
The live rock could be a big problem. When I set up the tank 7 months ago, I didn't know lr was so important. After reading on this site I found that it is. My tank has no live rock and I will be changing that next month. So it sounds like a powerhead and lr will probably solve my problem. Thanks for the help everybody.

rainmaker6

I had a problem with brown and green algae in my 28 gallon puffer tank. I have had a skimmer running for the past 3 weeks and the algae just disappeared the other day, like literally over night. I do not know if the skimmer has anything to do with it or if the tank is just maturing but I am glad it is gone.