Clam and others on live rock.

infanterene

My tank is still cycleing. My amonia level is .5 . Last night I added some live rock and it came with a clam attached. The clam is still alive do you think it will make it through the cycle?
There are also some things that look like little flowers on the rocks. They have a yellowish stem thats about 1/4" long with a burgandy flower or feather on top. What are they?

gregzbobo

those flower things COULD be polyps of some sort, or perhaps mushroom anemones. Wild guess though without a pic to go by. As for the clam, it probably isn't a tridacna sp., rather one of the benthic varieties that just sits there filter feeding all day. It may make it, it may not. I have one in a piece of rock in my tank, its doing ok.

gregzbobo

I agree with mnreefman about the bottom pic, as for the top one, Details are a bit hard to fudge out, so I haven't a clue, perhaps someone else with better eyes can make it out?

infanterene

Are feather dusters good? The other ones are like red worms. I also found these things that look like little octopus.

buyitjody

First picture is bristleworms. There is controversy on whether these are good or bad, but I think they are good. They'll eat detritus, left-overs, etc.
The second picture is a feather duster as the others said. They are filter feeders and are good to have.
The third picture looks like some sort of starfish. I'm not an expert on them so I can't say if it's good or bad, but my guess would be it's good.
Hope that helps!

angelofish

I the last pic looks like a serpent star to me. I bought a rock today and found 4 sticking their arms out of holes in the rock.

dsa_mom

We have two of those starfish--we call them brittle stars, not sure if that name is really correct. They live under rocks in our tank and have never come all the way out when anyone is looking, just stick out their arms to reach for food. They eat leftover flake food that falls to the sand and probably some detrius also. I know some ppl feed them pellet food also. A nice addition to your tank!

dsa_mom

i just looked up some pictures, we have serpent stars and I think yours is, too, with a banded like arm rather than all black (brittle).