Clam detached

oneradtek

I have a new crocea clam that i picked up the other day. It was anchored on a rock, and now tonight when i came home it was on its side in the sand? The woman i bought it form had it under 2x250 watt MH in not the best water quality. Mine is near perfect and i have the same 2x250watt MH config. why did this happen? i was wondering if the crabs annoyed it and it got mad and moved?
this was where it was the day after i bought it

nycbob

did it fall off the rock onto the sand? if so, u can either leave it on the sandbed, or move it between the rockwork where it cant fall off.

candycane

Well for one it's outcurrent siphon is under it's incurrent siphon in that picture, which you never want. That will cause it to release feces out of it's outcurrent siphon and maybe inhale it.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/326560/gaping-mantle-parts-feeding
Then, clams don't really know where they are happy. They can to an extent sense where the most adequate flow is coming from to feed them or light or what have you, but that's about it. If you have hermits in your tank and the clams is smaller, they will probably go after the byssal threads and irritate the clam. But usually you want to start it lower and gradually move it up.