clam placement question

mp32

Does a Maxima clam need to be placed on a rock or is it O.K. to keep it in the sand?

acroaddict

alot of people say to place it on rock better. personally ive tried that but my clam prefers the sandy bottom. if u look around the forums, most of the members place them at the bottom to. my 2 cents

nycbob

it all depends on the distance between the clam and the light. personally i like the rock with maxima and crocea. derasa and squamosa, on the sand.

mp32

I have nova extreme pro lights, I have a small maxima, about 3" wide. I just purchased it the other day. I put him in the sand till I could find a good rock to put him on, my tank is 24" deep. When I checked on it today he was opened up and when I tried to move it, it seemed like it had its foot planted pretty well in the sand. Does that mean it is happy where it is? I am trying to see if there is somewhere on the rock to put it, but if it is fine where it is then I do not want to move it.

nycbob

24 inches away from the pro imo isnt enought light. if the clam hasnt attached to the bottom glass, i'd move it to a rock 1/2 up in the tank. how big is the maxima btw?

mwxie

I've tried putting my clam on the of the live rock so it would be closer to the light, but it refused to open. Then when I replaced him back in sand he opened right back up: