Clam question

debbie g

This is my first clam. I believe it is called deraxa, something like that. It is a beautiful purple and teal color. I placed it in the sand with it's "mouth" facing up towards the light. Today it appears to be sort of open in one corner. So you can see inside the shell. Is this normal? Its got a little tiny "tongue" that sticks out and you can see the clam react to any fish or snails that venture close. Is this normal for a clam? Thanks.
Debbie G

yosemite sam

Derasa is the name you are looking for. The tongue that you see is the foot of the clam, which is uses to adjust it's position. As for it being open in one corner, what do you mean? Can you take a picture?

debbie g

Derasa, duh. I can't take a picture right now cause the MH's are off for the night, so he closes up a bit too. Can't see the "opening". But for now, I'll try to describe it like this...If you picture the fleshy part of the clam being lips, it would be how our lips look if we were talking out of the side of our mouth. hehe Fun to describe this stuff. If you still don't know what I mean, I'll get a pic of it in the AM. Thanks.
Debbie G

yosemite sam

Are you talking about the frilly opening like the one on the right end of the clam in Nas's photo? That's the incurrent syphon. That should be there.