Clam question

viet-tin

I have a crocea and one part of the mantle seems to be folding in. At first i thought it was my flow so i moved it and the rest of the mantle opened up but just that one part still seems to be folded inward. Is something wrong with my clam?What do I do to fix it? My other clam seems to be doing fine and all my water parameters are in line. Any help would be appreciated.

reefnut

To be honest I don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime in. All I know to do is provide it with MH lighting, good water quality and time to heal. How big is it?? If it's 3" or under I would feed it regularly... 2" and under realy "needs" to be feed.

ross

He looks okay to me, just give him mh lights and feed it a couple times week like reefnut already said.
PS I think your on maast...right? Im Ross from maast.

viet-tin

Hes under 2x250w mhs and is over 3". I hear that mantle pinching is common in croceas but it seems like my derasa has it as well. My water quality is good I dont have many fish so I dont have to worry about it too much. I remember seeing some type of eggs on my derasa and now theyre gone. Im thinking I might have then snails but have not seen any yet. hopefully this is happening because their new and stressed and nothing fatal.

viet-tin

Originally Posted by Ross
He looks okay to me, just give him mh lights and feed it a couple times week like reefnut already said.
PS I think your on maast...right? Im Ross from maast.
Yea im on maast. I think ive seen you before.

ross

Yeah we've prolly met before if you ever come into Fin Addict. I work there on weekends.
If you have snails your in some trouble. Take the clam out and look at his foot and the underneath side of him. The snails are realy small but ther will probably be a bunch of them. If you see any clams at all take them off! Theres some kind or wrasse that i think eats them...forgot the name of it though.

dburr

Lot of wrasse eats them, yellow coris, 4 line, 6 line, to name a few. But it is hit and miss.

viet-tin

If been to fin-addicts a few times thats where i got my clams from. I checked my clams and they are clean. Looks like i kinda pissed them off.

viet-tin

Forgot to say that theres also some thin whitest stuff on the mantle where it pinches. I dont know if thatll help but it might just be clam poo...

ross

Is that one of the small ultra croceas? If so that clam is sweet and the pic doesnt do it justice at all! I wouldnt be worried about the white stuff, mine sometimes does that too for some reason, dont know what it is...
Just keep up the feeding a couple times a week and keep him in the high lights with pretty good current and he should do fine!

viet-tin

I guess im going to try either a ro/di or an iodine dip. I read on another forums that this will help it but also states that it will always come back. I wonder what causes this pinching. Ross I read on masst that you guys have an atl blue tang. Would it be possible if you guys can save that for me? If been looking forever to find one of those.