Clam shrimp!!! Does it exist?

jhebi

I have a question, I was looking at the inside of my clam and i saw a small shrimp in there, it looks like an anemone shrimp, buT i dont think it is.....Is it possible? I try to take a pic but my camera sucks

Can you guys see on the left bottom inside the clam?

jhebi

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Probably just an A. Pod.
They look like shrimp with body shape, not harmful.
No its really a shrimp, is just that he keeps going inside and i cant take a good pic....It is the size of an anemone shrimp.....Same camouflage...

maxalmon

There are shrimp that have a symbiotic relationship with clams, they actually live inside the clam, somebody a while back posted pics of and some more technical info on who/what they are. Congrats, not very common...

jhebi

maxalmon said:
There are shrimp that have a symbiotic relationship with clams, they actually live inside the clam, somebody a while back posted pics of and some more technical info on who/what they are. Congrats, not very common...[/QUOTE
i didn't even know the shrimp was there until I peek today inside the clam and the shrimp is there....hahaha....That's the funniest and weirdest thing I ever saw, I thought clam would chow on everything...

maxalmon

I'm not sure if this is a healthy co-habitation, I've read some material that says the shrimp may survive on the clams gill tissue, sneaking a small nibble here and there. wetwebmedia.com is a good place to start for more information

jhebi

Here is a better pic, the shrimp has little black pockadots, he is really small....

Hope he doesn't have clam chowder with my clam

jhebi

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Cool, have you seen it out of the clam? Coax it out with a little cyclopeeze...
It seems it doesnt want to come out.....I fed my tank this morning with cyclopeeze, maybe that's why he came out but still inside of the clam

fish addict

That is wierd I had no idea there were shrimp that lived in clams! BTW what kind of clam is that? It looks really cool!

T

tiberius

That is so awesome! Neat looking clam. Got a pic of the whole thing?

jhebi

I just hope that the shrimp doesnt eat my clam.....I read a litle bit of the article and it says that the shrimp eats the mucus of the clam....Let's see what happens....It's a derasa clam, i believe....I will put a better pic when I get to work.....

murph145

i have seen it before i wouldnt worry its a cominsal relationship the shrimps there for protection and free room and board... he wont hurt your clam

chris&barb

murph is correct that it is a commensal shrimp, its not symbiotic. your clam is also a Maxima not a Derasa. there are a few species of shrimp that will live in Maximas. the most likely two would be Conchodytes tridacnae or Anchistus miersi. unfortunately most of the commensal shrimp look alike so an exact ID will be very hard. heres a better look at them.

and heres a cool pic of one, can you find it?

jhebi

Originally Posted by chris&barb
murph is correct that it is a commensal shrimp, its not symbiotic. your clam is also a Maxima not a Derasa. there are a few species of shrimp that will live in Maximas. the most likely two would be Conchodytes tridacnae or Anchistus miersi. unfortunately most of the commensal shrimp look alike so an exact ID will be very hard. heres a better look at them.

and heres a cool pic of one, can you find it?

Thanks, that's the shrimp.......i am just glad that is not a parasite...