Clam

bang guy

Originally posted by Reeferdude
well i have 2 clams that are both in 1x65 watt 10 gallons and doing great so....

This really sounds like a temporary situation to me. I do believe it's possible that your clams will live a long life but it is definately not going to be a sure thing.
IMO a 6 gallon tank is difficult at best. A light loving clam isn't going to make it and a clam requiring less light is going to quickly outgrow the tank.
As a staging area for a Derasa or a Squamosa that would be good but I don't see any clam doing well long term.

scottk

Ok, what about 110 watts PC over a 10 gallon nano? I thought it was enough. Considered adding another 28 or 55 to it.

justinx

Originally posted by scottk
Ok, what about 110 watts PC over a 10 gallon nano? I thought it was enough. Considered adding another 28 or 55 to it.

I highly doubt that you would be able to even fit the bulbs over the tank due to size alone. Even at that, i still dont think that PC are enough for clams.
If you absolutley MUST have a clam, then get a 150w metal halide pendant with a lot of fans. But even then, you would have to plumb the thing to the water line to keep up with the evaporation.
Hold off on the clams until you get a bigger tank.
Justin

justinx

Originally posted by Reeferdude
I have plans for when they outgrow their tanks, but they are looking great right now.

How long have they been in your system? If its less than a year dont even bother to reply.:rolleyes:

spsfreak100

All clams will need a certain amount of Lumens to live and grow (provided if they also are in the correct conditions). The Lumens/intensity do not increase as the tank size decreases. 39wts is only 39wts, weither it's on a 6 gallon or 600 gallon tank. While it may appear better on a 6 gallon, the lumens/intensity are still the same on the 600 gallon.
I agree with Justin, If you want to keep clams, get halides. Plus, most clams will outgrow a 6 gallon anyway.
Take Care,
Graham