Clams alive?

richl

I purchased a clean-up crew (snails, cleaner clams, hermits, emerald crabs, coral banded shrimp, etc.) from this site 3 weeks ago. It was recommended that I isolate them for 3 weeks before moving them to my 125 gal display tank. As a rule of thumb, if they move they are alive and I will transfer them to the display tank. The two cleaner clams don't seem to move. I read they are nocturnal, but they seem to stay in exactly the same spot all the time. They are not open. How do I know if they are alive? I wonder if I should throw them out. A few of the hermits and snails don't seem to move either, but I'll watch them for a day or two. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by RichL
http:///forum/post/2853169
I purchased a clean-up crew (snails, cleaner clams, hermits, emerald crabs, coral banded shrimp, etc.) from this site 3 weeks ago. It was recommended that I isolate them for 3 weeks before moving them to my 125 gal display tank. As a rule of thumb, if they move they are alive and I will transfer them to the display tank. The two cleaner clams don't seem to move. I read they are nocturnal, but they seem to stay in exactly the same spot all the time. They are not open. How do I know if they are alive? I wonder if I should throw them out. A few of the hermits and snails don't seem to move either, but I'll watch them for a day or two. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

You can pick up the cleaner clams and smell them. You will know it if they have been dead for more than a day. They open ever so slighlty so they can be alive and seem dead. Their lip should more maybe a little.
Mc

ninjamini

+ if the are dead then the other cleaners will eat them. Hermits can smell death. They will start picking at them as soon as they start to die.
Mine took a week or so to dig them selves in the sand. Once dug in I did not see them again till they surfaced and died.