clams and xenia

fishking

i was just wondering is a three inch clam and a xenia would lower the nitrate at all in my 210, i mean i plan to buy more because i heard they reduce nitrate, but i just want to know if those 2 things will do anything

db

I have never heard of any type of coral or clam reducing nitrates, but I may be mistaken. I was under the impression that nitrates were reduced through a biological process. I can tell you that a few main factors in reducing nitrates are doing the following; use r/o water, have plenty of live rock, and don't over feed your tank. Just my two cents

golfish

Xenia's will have more of an effect then a Clam but your going to need a whole lot of em.. They'll grow over time but if trates are an issue I'd find the cause and go from there. You could add em to a fuge and just let em go wild.

cindyski

Originally posted by waterfaller1
Every month I remove about 1/2 of it now..and it grows right back

what do you do with them, pitch em? probably a sillq Q but i can see that i am going to have to get rid of some of mine soon and feel terrible too have to throw them away.

chiton

I have trained elongata to grow on my glass,and pom pom to grow on my overflow box.

Neat pet trick

I too have the pom pom zenia all over my 54 corner, and just recently (2 months ago) put a 3-4 inch Dersa clam in. Before the Dersa I used to pull 10-20 stalks of the zenia out every month, but in the last few months have noticed a slower growth. There could be other causes of course.
I don't have direct proof that both are taking in nitrates, because I've never had detectable nitrates. In my tank at least, over the past few years, my zenia and macros definitely grow faster when I feed the fish more than usuall, or dump more zooplanton than normal, or when I increase the animal bioload in my tank. IMO, zenia are great natural nitrazorbs.
If you don't want zenia growing out of control in your tank, especially the pom pom stuff, start it at the top. It usually will spread toward the lighting.
Chiton

D

daniel411

Originally posted by DB
I have never heard of any type of coral or clam reducing nitrates, but I may be mistaken.

Clams and xenia both have been written as nitrate reducers by several authors.

jlm

Boy, I wish I lived close so I could get some of those you get rid of. I don't know anyone that has any. So I'm going to have to buy some.

fishking

well my nitrates are high because of the bioload, i have over 20 fish, four of them are tangs, i try to catch my damsels so i can get them out but nothing i do works, i have tried the soda bottle trap and it didnt work at all, i also have a plant and im suprised the tangs havent finish eating it yet

Thank you Fishman!Yes Cindy,I do pitch them..I feel bad too..but I just have so much..I have given them to some local people..but now I just have to get rid of them.And boy do they stink!!:eek: :scared:

eehhmmmee...will pay shiping....eehhmmmee
:D
kressl at bellsouth dot net