Clams aren't rock

raseri

So we bought some rock from out LFS, and what we got surprised us. We got this little guy for alot cheeper than normal. :p Anyone know what kind he is?

S

saxman

the pattern kinda suggests derasa, but i'm seeing scutes and ribs on the shell, which suggest otherwise. also, there are no irridipores (light sensing organs) around the edge of the mantle (check Joe's pic of his derasa). i'm inclined to say squamosa at this point, maybe maxima.
can you shoot a pic of the clam from the side, showing the shape of its shell and a close-up of the incurrent siphon?

florida joe

i'm inclined to say squamosa
Actually Greg I take back my identification I must go with your assessment of it being a squamosa

raseri

The store we bought it from thought it was a rock and we grabbd it right up. We knew it was a clam but figured it was just one of the usuall filtering guys that you get on liverock.
I tryed to take better pictures. But I really need a nice new camera, so forgive the blurry-nss of the close up shot please, :[.

And the side shot as best as I could.

S

saxman

it's hard to tell from the fuzzy pic, but the incurrent siphon should be ringed with tentacles. the valves (shell halves) appear to be symmetrical and the ribs have heavy scutes (another indicator). finally, if you turn the clam over, the byssal opening should be very small to virtually non-existent, as these clams rely on sheer weight and size to hold them in place on the sea floor.
the coloration is kinda rare for T. squamosa, so i think you scored a nice clam.

raseri

I'm going to hav to wait for th boyfrind to com hom to h can pick it up and look at it. I don't see any tentacles on it.