Clams Mystery

molly05

I bought 2 Crocea clams on July 15 and they were happy in 30G reef tank. Yesterday morning, I found out they were all gone except the shells. Can anyone explain to me what's going on and what I should do to keep the clam alive in the future.
Thanks.

nietzsche

you either have a predatory fish or you have flatworms, maybe even pyramid snails.. im sure flatworms would have made a quick meal of them

molly05

Baby80 - I have turbo snails, hermits, CB shrimp, a pair of clown, bicolor pseudochromis, and corals. I have 150W Viper MH and my tank is 30G.
1journeyman - I was not out of town and I can't imagine, either.
nietzsche - I am sure that I don't have any flatworms at all.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by molly05
Baby80 - I have turbo snails, hermits, CB shrimp, a pair of clown, bicolor pseudochromis, and corals. I have 150W Viper MH and my tank is 30G.
1journeyman - I was not out of town and I can't imagine, either.
nietzsche - I am sure that I don't have any flatworms at all.
clams dont just mysteriously vanish....im sure you have predators in your tank that youre not seeing because they hide well. have you ever inspected the clam prior to this incident? routinely checking them for any predators?? they will quickly make a meal of any clam
and youre positive you dont have these:

there in that picture you see it attached underneath the clam....

ophiura

Can you please post your specific water parameters, and further specifications on your tank set up?

dogstar

When was the last time you actually noticed them alive...not saying this is the case but perhaps they were dead awhile ( un-noticed ) and then the rotted flesh finally floated out...as mentioned...test pararmeters...I would be conserned of a spike in a smallish tank.

molly05

Here are the pictures which I took two days before they disappeared. When I saw the empty shells, I tested the water right away and all parameters were good.
am 0
trite 0
trate 0
phate 0
pH 8.1
temp 79.7
calc 390
sg 1.025
I clean and change 2G water every week. Therefore, I don't think water is the main cause. I suspected the CB shrimp, but it's impossible for the shrimp completely ate them in one night.

dogstar

Again, Im not saying what happened...but why did you move them to the sand ?
Croceas should be on rocks as in the first pics or at least, attached to one if placed in the sand...perhaps you injured there foot when moveing them or maybe already injured...there placement in the sand ( on their sides ) just is not apropriate...there also is not any sign of growth ( white outline on the edge of the shells )
IMO, and Im not claiming that Im right...I feel they died and something ripped the flesh from the shell and carried/dragged it into/under the rocks for a feast.....

molly05

I moved them to the sand because they kept falling from the rock and even I put them straight up on the sand they moved themself sideway. Maybe I injured their foot when I moved them as you mentioned.