Claw Id

mjweber

Hi Guys,
I found this claw in my tank, I'm not sure what its from. It looks empty so i'm guessing its from a molt or something. Anyhow I'm no crustacean expert so if someone could please tell me what species they think this might be from I would be most appreciative. I'm guessing gorilla crab, yes I know thats not good!!!

sea_knight

looks like a red stone crab...get rid of it as quickly as possible. the bigger it gets the more fish and other inverts it will eat.

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by Sea_Knight
looks like a red stone crab...get rid of it as quickly as possible. the bigger it gets the more fish and other inverts it will eat.

I agree with this probably a red stone crab

frankthetank

How long have you had this tank established? How long since you have not added any LR?
I ask because I'm curious how something like this can live in your aquarium without knowing it. I can understand if you recently purchased some LR because stuff hitch hikes... but if it's been awhile how could you not know.

mjweber

Hi guys,
I did purchase some live rock recently, so it could have come from there. My tank has been established for ~ 2 years now. I haven't lost any fish or coral as yet. The picture may also be misleading, since it looks so big. In reality that claw is very small, maybe 1/2 cm long and 1/4 a cm wide. I've checked at night with my red flashlight and i haven't seen anything. Are there any miniature crab traps I could try?

donald

cut back on the feed and set out a small bottle trap with bait. you might have to leave it in for a while but eventualy he will come. Also I think it is a stone crab claw. It could be a gorrilla crab though. Eather way it has to go. You might have to replace the bait every now and again. I found a claw just like this in my live rock, luckily it was dead.

tinmanny

I was told that if it has sharp claws for pinching then it is for eating and not for your tank
good luck Manny