Clean Back Glass?

shyfish

I let the algea grow on the back and sides as food for my critters. My clowns rub thier bodies on the back and get the algea to release and then they grab it and eat it.
My crabs pick at it all day long. Other fish just do a quick jab get a mouthful and go. My lawnmower blenny is fat from eating it, little kiss marks every where.
So for me its not the "look" but the whole eco system thing.

shyfish

Originally Posted by BRIAND7878
http:///forum/post/2930794
I clean mine I cant stand anything on my walls. I guess im anal.

I am a cleaning lady for a living..So nasty dirty bothers me too.
Thats said.. A sterile tank is an unhealthy tank. Cleaning the back of your tank and not letting algea grow may look nice to you but it isn't good for the critters who live in it. Keep in mind, its their world.
These creatures don't do or have things in their envirment by choice. Everything works together to create life. If you remove any component completely, you create an imbalance.
Totaly clean "walls" is like you going about your daily life in a glass house. Everyone can see in. It creates stress. Rocks create hiding places and your creatures NEED a place to feel safe. The back glass acts like a private place as well, and a place to graze. I let mine go because the creatures like it. I am trying to make them happy.
Its their world, I am just visiting.

shyfish

Xenia is beautiful isn't it? Be sure to trim it down so it won't take over. LFS will gladly take it, and you can trade up with friends.

vaughn

Originally Posted by Shyfish
http:///forum/post/2930917
Xenia is beautiful isn't it? Be sure to trim it down so it won't take over. LFS will gladly take it, and you can trade up with friends.
Thanks for the information. Very interesting. Is Xenia the same as coraline algae? (I could google this, but why bother when I can just ask here...)

daninct

I do a minor clean only when the algae gets a bit too much and nasty looking. I don't scrape all the good crusty growth and color off - just any hair agea that may build up. Like the others said I like that natural look. The sides and front I scrape every few days and I am really anal about any streaks or drips on front.
FW tank I keep spotless all 4 sides.

morval

Originally Posted by Vaughn
http:///forum/post/2931430
Is Xenia the same as coraline algae? (I could google this, but why bother when I can just ask here...)
no they are not the same, not even close. coralline is an calcerous algae, that purple stuff that covers rocks and grows on the glass and anything else in the tank:

xenia is a coral:

jackri

Xenia really looks outstretched in that pic... what kind of lights?
I clean 3 sides of my tank.. no need for me to view in from the back against the wall.. gives the snails a place to graze, coraline to grow, rock to be set up against and yes my xenia is crawling up the glass too :)

If you guys are not cleaning the backs of your tanks do you rest the rock on the back as well? My new tank is so much taller I had a hard time stacking rock without resting on the walls.

donald

I let the back wall go free and wild. I think the fish like it more. My yellow tang likes to graze on the alge. I do from time to time scrape off a little patch say about 6 inches square just to let spots regrow and i dont scrape off the coraline alge just kinda knock down the big stuff. It think it does help the tank be more healthy.