Clean Up Crew & Aggressive Fish

cjennings1

Is there any type of clean up crew I could use with a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, Miniatus Grouper, and Yellow Tang in a 75 gal w/ plenty of LR? (only have the fuzzy so far).
Got the suggestion for Large Turbos and Nassarius Snails. Anyone have anything else that works that will survive?
Also, how many should I get of each of these for a 75 gal. tank? Thanks

aquaknight

None of those fish are really hard shelled crustacean eaters. The grouper if it's small enough might try to rip a hermit from it's shell, but I think they would leave most snails alone.
Probably say 5 large turbos and 5 or so nassarius. The nassaruis will reproduce if conditions are right, so I'd recommend less then more.

jon321

Anything but shrimps or crabs should be left alone. Ive seen lionfish suck hermits out of their shells, but this does not happen frequently. Brittle stars, sea urchins, and sea cucumbers could all safely augment your cleanup crew if those organisms are desired.
Jon

cjennings1

thank you guys for your replies.
i think i am going to go with the turbos and the nassarius snails, maybe a tiger tail cucumber and a serpent star or two.

cj52racers

THeyre good, but sometimes if they get bothered (depending on the kind... Sea apples for one) they will expel their insides and it will kill an entire tank.... So thats probably what he means. Not so good.

Originally Posted by cjennings1
http:///forum/post/2556205
cucs no good?
sorry, not following
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was, was just like he said when they die or get irritated they expel that nasty substance and it is like Hiroshima in your tank.

cjennings1

lol, yeah, just did a little research. not willing to kill the entire tank for one invert. will search for other means. :)

cj52racers

Yeah, my one of the LFS had one die and it killed everything in about 6 tanks because they all ran on the same sump. It wasnt good. Haha its a lot of risk for a cuc.

jawja peach

Great thread! I am fighting a war with a Lunare Wrasse who ate over 150 hermits and snails - not to mention the shrimp, clam, scallop, fish, and corals he has eaten. I have posted a thread looking for advice on getting him OUT of my tank, but in the meantime, I am watching this thread eagerly!
Do ya'll think there is any point in my trying some of these larger things suggested here?

cjennings1

the mexican turbos are huge... the lion didnt even give them a second look when i put them in.
he did, however, perk right up as soon as i dropped in the nassarius's, he would swim right over to them, watch them (the whole time i am sitting there going "please dont, please dont!") and after a minute he would swim away and never bothered them again.
dont know how big your wrasse is, but i would think he could probably take out those nassarius no problem, dont know about the real large turbos though.

jon321

Originally Posted by Jawja Peach
http:///forum/post/2560179
Great thread! I am fighting a war with a Lunare Wrasse who ate over 150 hermits and snails - not to mention the shrimp, clam, scallop, fish, and corals he has eaten. I have posted a thread looking for advice on getting him OUT of my tank, but in the meantime, I am watching this thread eagerly!
Do ya'll think there is any point in my trying some of these larger things suggested here?
Sometimes you can see huge starry hermit crabs the size of a baseball. Those guys are good for cleaning up left-over food with aggressives like a lunar wrasse. Also, Ive never had any problems with brittle stars as long as theres lots of rockwork for them to hide in during the day when the lunar wrasse is 'hunting'. Other than that, Id think anything would be ripped to shreds.
Jon
Jon

cjennings1

well it happened sooner than i thought...
woke up this morning and fed the fish and was missing a green chromis! guess the fuzzy got hungry (i didn't think he was big enough yet).
so once he takes out the other two small fish, i will have a fuzzy, a one spot foxface, and a spotted hawk. Wanted to get one more fish... any suggestions? have a branching hammer, open brain, frogspawn, couple xenia stalks, and a couple of button polyps.
looking for a few good suggestions. thanks

F

faleshockjp

Originally Posted by Jawja Peach
http:///forum/post/2560179
At my fish store today I saw a Hermit crab that had to have a shell of at least a foot. You could try that.
PS. That was a joke.