clean up crew dies

duhwun

what happen to your tank when your clean up crew die. i have my tank set up for 2 months already, i got live rock and live sand in it, now my brand new clean up crew dies.. aren't they suppose to eat the algae and stuff i have in the tank. Or was i suppose to feed them? cuz i never fed them, they been in there for only about 4 days, and they all slowly dieing off. i dont kno why. all my parameters are goood, nitrate 10, nitrite 0, ammonnia close to 0, ph around 7.8 or 8, temperature is 80, salinitiy is 1.023 .

bluegirl

Your ph needs to be between 8.2 to 8.4. With inverts you might want to slowly bump your salinity up to around 1.026. The inverts need a higher salt content (need it for their exoskeletons i.e. molting) than just fish alone, I don't know that the salinity would kill them, but the ph might. Just my .02. Hope this helps some. :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by duhwun
what happen to your tank when your clean up crew die. i have my tank set up for 2 months already, i got live rock and live sand in it, now my brand new clean up crew dies.. aren't they suppose to eat the algae and stuff i have in the tank. Or was i suppose to feed them? cuz i never fed them, they been in there for only about 4 days, and they all slowly dieing off. i dont kno why. all my parameters are goood, nitrate 10, nitrite 0, ammonnia close to 0, ph around 7.8 or 8, temperature is 80, salinitiy is 1.023 .
I would agree with above postings BUT when did you test your water? Before or after they died? If you tested after they died, that's probably where your ammonia is coming from. You really should bump up your salinity a bit, don't fill it with freshwater for top off when you get evaporation, just top off with your premixed saltwater. Depending on how much evaporation you get, I lose about half a gallon per day. It was at 1.025 and I bumped it to 1.026, I keep it around 1.025-1.026. So I dump in about half a gallon or so of saltwater and that brings it up to 1.026 since it was just a tad bit higher then 1.025 in the first place. Do that once and see, test your salinity, if it's still low, do it again the next day. Make sure you mark your waterline so you know where your at, after bumping it up to a correct level, you can just top off with fresh RO water to that level each time and you should be good. I would top off with premixed saltwater in mine about once a week cause of my protein skimmer, it creates wet foam, that's the way I like it, some people prefers dryer foam. So I top off with saltwater to make up the difference that was lost by the skimmer. :happyfish

promisetbg

What are you using to circulate the water? How much turnover do you have..and is there surface agitation?
How did you acclimate the clean-up crew? Have you added fish yet? Is there anyway copper has ever been used in this tank?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by duhwun
whats the best way to raise my ph by the way and keep it that way?
By using seachem buffer as directed. Premix with RO water first then add it slowly to your water flow, where the powerhead is at to dilute within your water column. Another thing would be lime water. Just watch it when you dose it, do not dose it on the same day you dose calcium! There was a post a while back with someone saying not to use buffer and RO water won't affect the readings, by my findings, I am using it!!! Cause I find if you constantly using RO water for top offs, your ph and alk WILL drop! That's after many months of doing so, I do weekly water changes too. After talking to some folks, they advise me to buffer my water about once weekly. But once I get my sump/fuge system setup and kalk drip set up, I will no longer need to do anything with calcium, but have to watch the levels of it. :happyfish

duhwun

i just have few sponges in my wet dry filter and bio balls, everything else is just live rock and live sand, nothing else is in the tank.