Clean up Crew Question

leftyblite

I finally got my 12G nano cube cycled. I plan on soon putting either 1 small clownfish(if my 3 year old daughter has her way) or 1 firefish in this tank. I've read on this forum and other books about cleanup crews. How many of what and when should I put them in??? My tank set up is currently a 12G nano cube with a 2.5 inch live sand bed and approx 20lbs of live rock. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Leftyblite

kjord97

Clean up crews are a very nice addition. For 20 lbs of rock, and 12g nano, i would go with about 10 snails and 15 hermits. You can margarita snails or turbo, and the hermits it is nice to have the scarlet red's. they all stay really small. Also go to the local wally world and you can buy the assorted shells package from the crafting area. It is great for the little hermits. :jumping:

kjord97

clean up crews take care of anything that is un wanted in the tank. They will eat algae, and they are best for getting the food that your fish miss. and yes you can get some hermits while your tank is setting up, i would hold of on the snails, till your water gets stable.

keprdad

I have started a 150gal. SW tank about 3-4 weeks ago and am wondering how many turbo snails you guys think would be necessary for this size tank.
thanks/

kjord97

I persoanlly have a 125 gal reef, it is 2 years old with 90 lbs live rock and 5 inch sand bed. I have about 60 hermits, and 75 snails. I also have a sand sifting star, blue knuckle hermit, 10 red footed snails.