Clean Up Crew Suggestions

kevin34

I have a 125g tank that is currently cycling so I will be ordering my cleanup crew soon. I have decided on no hermits. I was nass snails, turbo snails, and emerald crabs so far. Can anyone recommend a type of snail or snail/reef safe crab that eats hair algae? Also can a porcelain crab and a pom pom crab be added with the cleanup crew?

cracker4418

I think you have it covered. I added twice as many nass to my tank. They do a great job cleaning and sifting the top layer of sand. You can add a porcelain crab, there filter feeders. I personaly like sally lightfoot crabs. They have a great personality, and there always on the go. Makes them very intertaining to watch. I agree with you leaving out the hermits. They have killed every snail in my tank but 2(death toll 73).
The emerald will take care of hair algae and other algae.

kevin34

That helps a lot thanks.
Could a pom pom crab be added too or do they need more of a mature tank like shimp?

kevin34

How many snails total would you guys recommend for a 125g? I have MH lighting which may prduce more algae. Also how many emeralds? I was thinking 5-6 of those and about 40 nass and 30 turbo.

mcbdz

I'd also add some cerths, and maybe nerites. Check also into a couple fighting conchs and cleaner clams. If the tank is farely new go 20 each and then if more are needed add what ones are doing what you want. That is my plan anyway.

cracker4418

I should have asked this first.1 How much live rock do you have? 2 What lights do you have? That will give you a better idea on how many inverts to start of with. Your tank wont have much for them to eat at first. You might have to do very small feedings intil you start to add fish, or you can add fish with your cleanup crew.

cracker4418

forgot... you should wait on the pom and porcelain. There more for show anyway. They will do better when your tank matures a little, plus with more food available they will be more active. Roaming looking for food instead of waiting for you to feed them.

kevin34

I have about 180lbs of live rock with 2 250watt MH bulbs. My tank is taking a long time to cycle so there is already a ton of diatoms and hair algae everywhere.

cracker4418

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/2572074
How many snails total would you guys recommend for a 125g? I have MH lighting which may prduce more algae. Also how many emeralds? I was thinking 5-6 of those and about 40 nass and 30 turbo.
Those numbers sound right. Have you thought about your stock list?

kevin34

Originally Posted by cracker4418
http:///forum/post/2572581
Those numbers sound right. Have you thought about your stock list?
So far my stocklist is
tiger jawfish
2 true percs
bicolor angel
copperband butterfly
fairy wrasse of some kind
midas blenny
maybe a 1 or 2 zebra dartfish
and 1 or 2 tangs (cant decide on what kind)

cracker4418

May i suggest
1 royal gramma
2 true percs
1 fairy wrasse
1 midas blenny and/or bicolor (they love hair algae)
2 firefish
1 Powerder Blue Tang
1 Naso Blonde Tang
1 Yellow tang instead of the butterfly-there hard to keep IMO
1 bicolor angel or Flame angle

kevin34

Originally Posted by cracker4418
http:///forum/post/2573572
May i suggest
1 royal gramma
2 true percs
1 fairy wrasse
1 midas blenny and/or bicolor (they love hair algae)
2 firefish
1 Powerder Blue Tang
1 Naso Blonde Tang
1 Yellow tang instead of the butterfly-there hard to keep IMO
1 bicolor angel or Flame angle
I am not really a fan of yellow tangs, royal grammas, or firefish. They are nice fish but they are just so common. I want to keep some different things. The naso will get too big for a 125 and I think the powder blue would be harder to keep than the butterfly. I was thinking about a convict tang or maybe a liuetenant tang.

kevin34

Is it true that cerith snails need to be manually turned over if they flip over onto their back? And is 40 nass snails, 30 astraea turbo snails, and 10 ceriths too much? These will go along with 3 emeralds.

jeffreyyy

Because they all will need something to eat. If it's a new tank then there'll be some starving snails. As your tank matures you can add them as you need them.
Jeff