Clean up Crew

irmocat

Hi, I am new to reef tanks and just set up my second one last weekend. My water was tested today and all was ok to start with my clean up crew. I purchased 13 scarlet hermits, 3 astrial(SP) snails, 2 emerald crabs, 1 sally lightfoot, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 sand sifting star and 1 cucumber. I am curious as to whether it would be ok to purchase one of the clean up crew packages from this site (the market leader #1 package for $99)or would this be over loading my 46 gallon tank with too many critters? The live rock in my tank is very dirty looking, it only went through a one week curing process from the aquarium shop that I got it from. Will the critters I have in my tank be enough for now? Thank you all for any help you can give me. :)

sangysc

IrmoCat
I live in West Columbia . . . welcome to the board! From where did you purchase your live rock? We are pretty fortunate to have 6 local fish stores that deal in saltwater in the Columbia area. I just received an inverts package from SWF.com and between the two tanks you have listed (29g and 46g), the package you mentioned in your post should be fine. I placed 20 scarlet hermits, 30 blue hermits, 20 turbos, 2 emeralds and 2 cleaner shrimp in my 46g and within a few hours they had spread themselves out quite nicely - doesn't look crowded at all. Please let me know how your tanks progress: sangysc@hotmail.com
John Sandstrom

irmocat

Hi John. Thanks for the info! I bought my 46 gallon tank and live rock from Fishy Business. The 29 gallon was given to me by a friend two weeks ago and it was also purchased at FB. I only know of 4 places in the Columbia area to buy reef stuff. Where else besides FB, Aquarium Pet Shop I and II and Fins in Irmo? I would love to be able to find another shop just to see what all they have. Nice to have a "neighbor" on this mb :) I think I will go ahead and order more inverts. My 46g tank seems a bit sparse right now. Thanks, Cat