Clean-up crew

jhawk

Ok need to know what would be a good clean-upcrew for my 29 gallon tank.At the moment I have 16 Turbo Snail,2 Emerald Crab ,5 Blueleg Hermit and 1 Urchin .What every I need will have to be reef safe after we move if we move will set up a bigger tank then.

fefo23

you problably can get claner shrimp, but if you don't have any fish yet, you may have to give them some food.

gmidd

Originally Posted by Chellie4u2
dang thats alot of snails, i hope they don't start starving
Actually its recommended 1 per 2 gallons. Just make sure its not the Mexican Turbo Snails those are 1 per 10 gallons. I have 5 Turbo's and 10 Astrea Snails, the tank is spotless and they seem to be fine. You can always throw in algea sheets if there is a concern. I want to get 5 to 10 more Nassarius Snail to clean and sift the sand bed.

stanlalee

I'd keep two of the astrea snails (assuming you dont have large mexican turbo's), get five small nassarius and about three cerith. I'd lose the urchin and emeralds. I'd probably lose a few of the hermits too. I'm not a big fan of excessive clean up crews. at some point wether you know it or not if your sustaining a large clean up crew you are feeding them or masking the route of other problems. I had in my my 30gallon reef had 5 hermits, 2 snails and a cleaner shrimp and the tank was no more worse for wear then when it had 10 atrea snails, 25 hermits, 2 emeralds and a sally lightfoot. After natural selection the numbers dwindled down to a modest amount anyway and remained consist there.

jhawk

Yeah my tank was brown but starting to look better now didn't know if that was enough or not this is the start of a bigger reef tank just playing with this one till we buy our house sometime next year. All ready have a bigger tank just don't want to try and tear down a 180 reef yet plus need to build something over 500 gallons for whats in the 180.What would be a good fish to put in the 29 gallon tank.