clean up crew

blenny1

what does everyone use for there clean up crew. IM new to sea horses, so just wondering whats safe.

zeke92

me to ci, i have to giant snials, turbos i think. i also have saltwater mollies (two giant black ones now).
and then i got a sand tiger conch or whatever it's called wich helps the sand quite a bit.
i'd like to get some nassarius snails whenever i can.
i also have a giant coral banded shrimp, it's my favorite shrimp ever!

blenny1

cool so I guess snails are the best. I was worried about getting hermits. You dont think the coral banded is to aggresive? I have one in my reef and if a fish goes near him hes ready with his claws

I'd say a big no to a coral banded shrimp...but a peppermint shrimp is safe around horses....i have a wide variety of snails and a couple of scarlett reef hermits....the horses bother them , not the other way around....very docile....now the dwarf blue hermits I'd avoid...there tiny , but fearless and will nip at a horse if they get close.

sherry13

Has anyone had seahorses and emerald crabs together? In my 110 gallon, I have emeralds, blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, jade hermits, lettuce slug, astrea snails, nassarius snails, purple urchin, peppermints, coral banded shrimp, and I'm planning to add some seahorses. Maybe I should order a refugium too and plan to move the crabs if they are problematic. Then again, I could just set up another tank and move the seahorses, that might be easier. Either way, I was going to give seahorses with crabs a try. I also have some peaceful fish; 2 O. clowns, 2 cardinals, and a jawfish.
I should add that my inverts are well fed. I use Formula Two frozen food, several times a week, and green algae on a clip because the clean up crew has my tank so clean I have to supplemently feed them. I really worry about the slug and the urchin. When I got them, I had algae galore and now I don't. My philosophy with the crabs and shrimp is if they are well fed, they should remain peaceful. The only problem I've seen with the blue leg hermits, is they have eaten some nassarius snails and taken over their shells.