Clean Up Crew

yannifish

I have a 55g tank, and will have about 45lbs of live rock in the tank before the major part of my clean up crew is added. With that amout of rock, would 12 blue leg hermits, 5 cerith snails, 5 astrea snails, 5 nassarius snails, a blue urchin, emerald crab, either a cleaner and fire shrimp or a pair of CBS be to much of a clean up crew? They would be with a few gorgonians at the most, and fish, of course.

nordy

I think that's a good start for your CUC. I have a 55gal tank and currently have a sally lightfoot, 2 emerald crabs, a couple of large hermits, about a dozen other smaller ones, and about 30 assorted snails, plus one cleaner shrimp. Be prepared for your hermits to snack on the snails though! For me, the snails are just a normal stocking item that I just replenish on a regular basis. I have a couple of turbo snails that have survived the onslaught of the hermits for over a year, but just got another 20 small nass snails to restock with.
If you are just starting your tank with little or no algae, you might have to feed the CUC for a little while. Don't worry though, the algae will come

earlybird

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/2631741
I think that's a good start for your CUC. I have a 55gal tank and currently have a sally lightfoot, 2 emerald crabs, a couple of large hermits, about a dozen other smaller ones, and about 30 assorted snails, plus one cleaner shrimp. Be prepared for your hermits to snack on the snails though! For me, the snails are just a normal stocking item that I just replenish on a regular basis. I have a couple of turbo snails that have survived the onslaught of the hermits for over a year, but just got another 20 small nass snails to restock with.
If you are just starting your tank with little or no algae, you might have to feed the CUC for a little while. Don't worry though, the algae will come

Excellent advice

I wouldn't get the crabs, they will eat your snails within months. I believe the only reason why they sell the hermit crabs with the snails; is that you will be a return customer within a few months. Now, the only crab I have is an emerald. I haven't had no problems out of him. But still emeralds are known to eat shrimp and smaller slower animals when they get bigger. Also, stay away from sand sifting stars, they will eat small inverts like snails and shrimp as well. Good luck with the tank