clean-up crew

dacia

I'm not an expert, but I think that 20 hermits, 20 snails, maybe 2 cleaner shrimps, and a fighting conch would be fine.
For hermits, I would go with the less aggressive scarlets.
For snails, a mixture of nassarius, cerith, and astrea snails would be good.
Don't get a queen conch cause they can grow to be really big. The fighting conch will clean a sandbed with your nassarius and cerith snails. Astreas will clean your rock and glass.

whiterose

Originally posted by Dacia
I'm not an expert, but I think that 20 hermits, 20 snails, maybe 2 cleaner shrimps, and a fighting conch would be fine.
For hermits, I would go with the less aggressive scarlets.
For snails, a mixture of nassarius, cerith, and astrea snails would be good.
Don't get a queen conch cause they can grow to be really big. The fighting conch will clean a sandbed with your nassarius and cerith snails. Astreas will clean your rock and glass.

I have a crushed coral bed, would you still recommend the same clean-up crew?

dacia

Others with crushed coral have had success with sand-sifting snails. Personally, I would lessen the amount, but not eliminate them completely. You will have to vaccuum your CC every once in a while though, just make sure that you suck up any snails. ;)
And I think you could leave out the conch. They normally live under the sand and might not appreciate the CC.
Everything else I would still recommend. I have a 20 gallon FOWLR, and the hermits love it in there. My cleaner shrimp is also doing great. I also have a CC starfish that looks like he is dancing on the CC sometimes. If you have a reef, get a different kind of star, though, since chocolate chips are not reef safe.