Clean used equipment?

squidbait

I just picked up my whole setup yesterday from a guy giving it away! I got a 90 G, wet/dry, sump, LR, books, test equip...everything but lighting.
My question is, what cleaning do I need to do ( if any ) to ensure that any problems he may have had, don't end up in my setup? Is any cleaning necessary?
Thanks

ebeckels

is the guy giving the equip. away's water still in it? If so, I'd let it run for about a month with no fish to ensure all parasites (ick, etc.) are killed due to a lack of host... you must keep some water in there for the live sand to stay live though.Hope this helps

squidbait

The tank is empty. I will be setting it up from scratch. I am mostly wondering about the filtration and hoses.

Congradulations on a fine bargin! Now you can sink (pun) all your $$ into a killer lighting system! :rolleyes:
If it were me, I would clean anything that will be in contact with water with a light bleach solution, say 10 to 1. Rinse VERY WELL. I would do this also on the inside of the tank. RINSE VERY WELL. It may take some grunt work and you may need help to clean the tank, but I wouldn't skip this part.
Then set it up and let it run with some good quality carbon.
My humble .02
HTH
Hermit

orby

Also I would just like to add that if your hoses are stained and not flexible anymore just go to HD and buy some new. It doesn't cost that much and then you don't need to worry about getting them clean.

mark-24

Also, whatever you do, don't wash any part of the aquarium or filter system that comes in contact with water with chemicals or soap. For me, I used hot water at pretty high pressure.
-Mark

Using bleach is fine tho.. and I HIGHLY recomend this, because once rinsed well, it is gone, and anything not takin away from the rinse, over time will leave the water