Cleaned my tank with 3M Sponge

myreef05

Ok, so I did not read the package. I cleaned my 125 with a new 3M sponge. I was reading on another site that a guy did that and it killed ALL his fish.
Right now i have 2" of RO/DI water in it. After I cleaned it out I rinsed it out and then put what water I had in.
Should I use white vinegar now to clean it or bleach?
The sponge package said "not for aquarium use" I never read it.

renogaw

i think the "not for aquarium use" is because people think that sponge and the sponges on the rock are the same thing. or the prefilter sponge and the 3m sponge, etc.
heck, the natural sponge that you use for painting says not for aquarium use...and it came from the ocean...
definitely though wipe it down with some white vinegar, i use paper towels.

myreef05

Originally Posted by renogaw
i think the "not for aquarium use" is because people think that sponge and the sponges on the rock are the same thing. or the prefilter sponge and the 3m sponge, etc.
heck, the natural sponge that you use for painting says not for aquarium use...and it came from the ocean...
definitely though wipe it down with some white vinegar, i use paper towels.
I hear ya, but it has stuff in it that kills bacteria.

jdinger29

Sorry for the brief hijack but what kind of sponge IS safe to use? I have been driving myself nuts looking for a sponge that doesn't say "Not for Aquarium Use"
Any hints??
What do you use for cleaning? Anyone?

ophiura

Use a sponge made for aquariums - look in a shop or online - they are very common and come in types for glass and acrylic. But DO NOT use kitchen or any other sponges, IMO, as many are treated.
For the original poster - did you rinse the tank after using the sponge? I would rinse real well, use some vinegar, and I would imagine you will be fine. It is if you use it with a full established tank that I would be really concerned.

renogaw

Originally Posted by myreef05
I hear ya, but it has stuff in it that kills bacteria.

never even thought of that.