Cleaner Acrylic Tanks

radioactive

Does anyone know of a good place to get cleaner and scratch remover for acrylic tanks ? Any help would be much appreciated ..

R

randy 12

Do you have scratches on the inside or outside? Tenecor sells a scratch remover that I think you can use inside the tank with water and inhabitants in there. If you have scratches on the outside, use Maguires Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner and use an electric polisher/sander - not an orbital buffer (it doesn't have high enough rotation speed). If you have deep scratches, you need to sand with an electric sander with your sand paper getting finer and finer and eventually about 600 (wet). Then use the Mirror Glaze and electric polisher. The Novus 2 and 3 doesn't do the job - especially by hand. It leaves too much haze. Do the way I said and it will come out looking very nice. We did it on the inside and outside of a used acrylic that sat in my brother's garage and which he used to throw all sorts of rock and junk into. Looks like new now! You might see some very, very fine swirls but with water in the aquarium, it disappears.

radioactive

I will do exactly what you have stated . I do not have very many scratches , but would like to get them buffed out, just for my own when I am looking into the tank .... Thanks for the advice

R

randy 12

No problem. If you use the electric polisher and Maguire's polish, be sure to clean the tank out really well before putting fish into it. Takes a little while with the polisher, take your time. If you use the electric sander, at first it will freak you out and you'll think you really messed up your tank, but just keep using finer and finer sandpaper and then the electric polisher and polish (but not the orbital sander - it just doesn't work).

speakerfish

Meguiars also makes a specfic Plexiglass/acrylic cleaner and scratch remover products, we use them all the time on our demo cars, trucks and displays. Give it a try, just make sure you clean the tanks out really well after using the products.