Cleaner Clam Question???

HIm
I just got my SWF order yesterday and placed 2 cleaner clams on the sandbed well at 1 am i looked into the tank and they are nowhere to be found. Do they move quickly like flame scallops?? AT least the scallops are red and you can find em' I also got a nudibranch.. that thing is SCARY looking! LOL
Thanks, KIm

HOW COOL... thats explains it, I havent seen them since. LOL
and happy 1000 birthday!! I am honored to be part of your anniversary/birthday... LOL

luvsaltlyf

Hey Kim! We got one last week from SWF and it hasn't opened or moved. We are wondering if it was DOA?? Anyway to tell?

bergamer

you can pick up those clams at your local fish market- even packed in ice
b4 you place in tank, just put in a bowl full of tank water until it spits, then place in your tank
1 per every 5 gallons and your nitrates will always remain low:joy:

bergamer

i have 5 in my tank and they have been there for months
my buddy has had them in there for years
the most important aspect is making them spit b4 you put then in your tank. i will take some pics later and post later

francis

Originally posted by shawnts106
NO way to I believe you can buy frozen cleaner clams at a local fish market!!!... And How do they survive?... do you have pictures of these cleaner clams in your tank?... This is just hard to believe!

Yeah i agree to that! can you please educate us?:D
i once saw these clams in our local fish market, in a bucket full of clams & was spitting everywhere:D i've thought of buying some but i didn't, knowing they wouldn't survive. But, will they? is okay to put some even with my tank has fish already? Tnx!

ninjamini

Wait...
So I get a clam from the supermarket and if he spits (alive) drop him in he tank. If he dont spit apply lemon and eat.
He will burrow into the sand so I dont see him (kinda ugly and all) and poof he eats up all the nirtates. Like no more nitrates.
It cant be that easy!:confused:

bergamer

ok ok ok ok very funny
but I would not go to a hole in the wall place, I go to a fancy fish market. Buy them fresh, even when packed in ice THEY ARE NOT FROZEN, just packed in ice to keep cold
here is a few picks- its hard finding them bc they move and go where they please, but I found one- I have had these for months and my buddy for YEARS
sorry, SWF.com is down and I cant send any pics

bergamer

lets try again
There seems to have been a slight problem with the Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
:nope:

Im crackin up here..
I'm NOT talking about clams from stop and shop..LOL these are cleaner clams from SWF!
YOu guys are putting regular "steamers" in your tank???
I'm STUMMPED!
kim
BTW; I havent seen them yet Luv. Maybe yours was DOA :confused:

X

xoxox

Originally posted by ninjamini
Wait...
So I get a clam from the supermarket and if he spits (alive) drop him in he tank. If he dont spit apply lemon and eat.
He will burrow into the sand so I dont see him (kinda ugly and all) and poof he eats up all the nirtates. Like no more nitrates.
It cant be that easy!:confused:

Naw, you cut him open, apply hot sauce, and yum,yum,yum...
:yes:
(the cleaner clams on this site are the same you get at your supermarket)

ctgretzky9

I never thought about cleaner clams! I didnt even know what they did...can someone enlighten me?
Can they live in crushed coral beds? Do they really lower/eliminate nitrates?
Thanks!

sammiefish

i need to follow this one...
what type of clam are we talking.... is there a name relative to the food store obtained clam that is compatible with a warm water tank? mahogany, little neck, cherry stones... which one?

mn1467

Does anyone have an answer to this Can you get cleaner clams from a fish store and put them in your tank. I am really curious

They look like the ones that you crack open and put cocktail sauce on. They are the thincker rounder clams, NOY steamer shaped. Like I think they are called cherry stones on a half shell.
LOL KIM

bergamer

The ones I ordered from SWF.com are no different than the ones i bought in the store.
And even if it is a cold water clam, THEY ARE LIVING AND THRIVING IN 78 DEGREE TEMP WATER IN MY TANK!!!!
my buddy has had the same ones in his tank for years!!!!
and yes, they do taste good in a white wine sauce