cleaner crew time

redcoat94

Ok, I took the plunge and upgraded to a 125. It is the Oceanic Reef Ready and I am very excited. I am cycling now and I know when my cycle finishes I can start adding my cleaner crew. The question is, how big of a crew should I start with? I have seen the recommended size per gallon and the packages, but if I start off with that many so early wouldn't they starve from lack of food? Nobody else is in there creating waste. I have about 80 pounds of live sand and 60 pounds of live rock to start with. I will add some more live rock as time goes on to get to about 100 - 125 pounds.

belothsurf

I think you already answered the question youself.:) I wouldn't put a full size crew in untill you have at least a few fish, and you have some algea growing. I would think you should be ok with a handful of Astreas, a Mexican turbo ( they need lot's of algea) and some scarlet hermit's. You can always drop in a shrimp pellet or 2 for them, every few days, but they love algea too, so make sure you are fully cycled, and algea is growing, before you add anything. I added a full crew to my tank as soon as I got a diatom bloom. I think I may have 3 blue leg crabs left out of the original $100 crew. I added a second crew 1 month later, ( 1 mos after my tank cycled,) and I still have all the snails and just about all the scarlets, and the Mexican Turbo. That's my experience
But I understand your excitement. I plan on upgrading to a 125 next April when I get my tax refund back. I've already decided on how many grains of live sand I want......:D :D

pontius

well, I just put in the live rock in my 75 gallon tonight, and my cleaning crew is already started....a single blue leg hermit that was apparantly hiding out in a piece of the rock. it's so cool, I was so excited when I saw it walking around. think it can make it through cycling?
as for your football comment, I'm almost ashamed of my team, especially after last year. but they're in the SEC, and they play 'bama and UGly U 3 weeks apart this year. and you can probably guess who they are by the washed up old coach that should have been fired after last season.

belothsurf

South Carolina is always a challenge.....he-he.....he-he....:hilarious . No, Alabama is weak this year, so it should be anybodies game. Lou Holtz is a great coach, and should never be underestimated. I've just not heard very good things about SC, to make me worried.
Alabama is also hurting, but coming back. We have one of the most outstanding junior Quarterbacks the NCAA will see. Unfortunately, we have a bunch of frehsmen receivers. Guess we'll have to see how it plays out...........ROLL TIDE!

pontius

actually Carolina's team is quite good....3 very very good running backs (2 sophomores and 1 junior) and a very good receiving corp, and a pretty sold OL and DL. the biggest problem is our starting QB is the WORST QB I've ever seen, but Lou insists on playing him because Lou still has pipe dreams of another Tony Rice. the 2 backups were rated 5 and 8 in the nation coming out of high school, but Lou is too stubborn to let THEM play....we basically have a fullback with no throwing arm as our starter. plus, Lou insists on running on 1st and 2nd, and only throwing when he has to, which is far too predictable. I think the game has passed Lou by. aside from our starting QB and stubborn Lou, we have a very solid team. the pre-season magazines are predicting 8-4, but we'll see.

belothsurf

Originally posted by redcoat94
does it really matter? The Dawgs will mop up the entire SEC this year anyway

True, GA is going to be strong and will probably dominate. But watch out for Auburn, they are very underated.
GA just needs to focus on their division, then they can look towards the SEC championship. Then maybe if they win that, they can look towards the National Championship............yeah....right...hahahaha:hilarious

belothsurf

Pontius, I think you are right, Lou Holtz day has come and gone.
But, he is the one that put SC on the map, so to speak. Who can replace him? I think this may be Lou's last year. Maybe....
Hey, I started a thread over in the Aquarium forum, "1st Hurricane".... I'm trying to stir up a little pre-football season discussions.......

pontius

the man to replace him is Steve Spurrier, just imagine, he could come to Carolina and have the opportunity to beat his old team every year. I don't think it'll happen though.
as far as UGly winning any kind of championship, it won't happen. they MAY win the east, but they won't beat LSU. I'm not evern concerned with UGly, we have less trouble with them than Florida and Tennessee.
a lot of SEC teams are looking weak this year. Arkansas and Tennessee will be weak. Ole Miss will be pushovers now that ELi is gone. and sorry, but I'm looking for Bama too.
we're predicted to be 8-4 with losses to UF, UT, UGla, and Climpsun. I actually think we'll beat Tenn this year, but if we lose to Climpsun, none of it will matter.....that's the one that counts, every year. if we lose to Climpsun again, Lou should definately hit the road.