cleaner shrimp eggs

oozy

Hi,
"cleaner classifieds"
i have a (SFCS) single female cleaner shrimp
(ISO) insearch of
(SMCS) Single Male Cleaner shrimp

sorry, i had to...
anyway, i have noticed my cleaner shrimp has a load of eggs she is carrying. does anyone know if i find a male for her will the eggs (future batches) hatch and make babies, OR am i just looking at future fish food?
does anyone have experiences with this sort of thing?
-Oozy-

celacanthr

Well, cleaner shrimp in the genus Lysmata (if you are talking abotu a cleaner shrimp in that genus) are harmaphrodites. After they have shed their old shell, but haven't formed their new one yet, they are female. the rest of the time they are male.
They are very difficult to raise.

oozy

tonight i have seen quite a few little swimmers floating around. they look like a pair of eyes and a tail.
Im not sure if i should try buying a guppie breeder and give them a chance...
anyone out there ever try?
-Oozy-

bergamer

there are some websites dedicated to raising them, not hard to find. It is an entirely different hobby though and it looked like a lot of work

alyssia

Originally Posted by bergamer
there are some websites dedicated to raising them, not hard to find. It is an entirely different hobby though and it looked like a lot of work

This is off the subject but bergamer, I love your avatar!

rubberduck

people have raised them easily but from what i hear there is much work involved.
i would let them be coral food unless u want to but some time, care, and money. I hear you have to have food cultures and be able to feed them small newly hatched food.
travis

oozy

well,
its been quite some time, and i still have quite a few little swimmers when i check at night. I havnt done a thing, and it seems to be working :notsure:
well, ill let you guys know if i see them mature; at wich point ill remove them so they dont become lunch for my butterfly....
-Oozy-