Cleaner Shrimp - Has not molted in a long time!

jpc763

I got my cleaner shrimp almost a year ago. He molted twice in the first 3 months, but has not molted in the last 8 (that I have found). Is that a problem?

bang guy

No, it's not a problem. It's antenna may start to get a bit skanky but it will molt when they become non-functioning.
If you're really worried just add another Cleaner Shrimp of the same species. They will mate and molt regularly every 4 weeks when the eggs hatch.
Just out of curiosity, what species of Cleaner is it?

jpc763

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - Here is a pic from a month or so ago.

And yes, the antenna are looking a little skanky!

koesterkep

You can always add some iodine to aid in the molting process, mine did the same thing once their antennae get off colored like that they will molt pretty quick, be sure to keep proper iodine if you want regular molting, test kits are not reliable so just dose appropriate amounts.

bang guy

Just my opinion but adding Iodine to "help" shrimp molt is like using a baseball bat to "help" someone sleep.

alix2.0

haha, is it bad for them? or only if you add too much? i dont dose iodine, im just wondering about your analogy.

bang guy

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2670288
haha, is it bad for them? or only if you add too much? i dont dose iodine, im just wondering about your analogy.
It's very toxic to crustaceans. Natural Sea levels are fine but become a major problem if it's even slightly over. All toxins will force Shrimp to molt, it doesn't help them molt at all. They are built to concentrate toxins in their exoskeleton and then molting removes the toxins permanently.

spiderwoman

If you don't test for iodine, then don't dose it.
I'm glad he finally molted! Are you going to get him a friend? I have 2 of those and they molt about every 2-3 weeks and a Fire shrimp that molts every 3-4 weeks.

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2670858
I'm glad he finally molted! Are you going to get him a friend? I have 2 of those and they molt about every 2-3 weeks and a Fire shrimp that molts every 3-4 weeks.
HA~!

jpc763

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2670858
I hadn't considered adding another one. I have a 55g and did not think I needed another. Will another add to the bio load? I spot feed this guy a 1x per week and of course he eats during feeding time, but I was not sure about another.

spiderwoman

I had mine originally in a 55. They don't add to the bioload but a tiny tiny bit. I just like seeing mine hang out together. They don't fight and don't pick on the Fire nor 3 Peppermints.

saltn00b

jpc i agree with bang (as usual).
when you first place an invert in your tank they will usually shed within the first 2 -6 days because of the change in water parameters from where they came. also, younger inverts are growing faster to get to adult size, so they will molt more often. that one looks pretty big already, so when it is ready it will molt. you also dont have to see the molt. if you notice you dont see the shrimp for three days, then it probably happened behind the scenes.