Cleaner Shrimp Problem!!!!!!

tdog7879

I have a cleaner shrimp and evertime i spot feed any of my LPS or my zoas,he steals the food is there anything i can do????Any tricks??? I don't want to get rid of him. He been inn the tank for 7 months.

jharlow

Why not just feed him as well? A small piece of krill, or a small piece of a silverside works well.

aztec reef

They're oppurtunist eaters, so they will eat anytime you add food to tank.
You're just gonna have to deal with it..or get rid of it.
I don't see a major problem though, cause corals get food through various sources...
A cleaner shrimp is a parasitic eater too, so sometimes it may look like hes eating off corals when in fact its cleaning its surface..

you can do a couple things:
1.) remove the coral and put in a bucket with some of your tank water and feed them in there.
2.) take a 2L pop botter cut the bottom off, rinse it real well, and when you feed the coral, you can put the bottle over top of it. Of course if the coral is too big, the bottle trick may not work.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by jharlow
http:///forum/post/2791966
Why not just feed him as well? A small piece of krill, or a small piece of a silverside works well.
I have a hellacious red/fire shrimp that I love to death (Ive had him almost 2 years!) but he STEALS like some clepto whenever I feed my duncans (right next to his cave).
I give him a MONSTER piece of meat, and sometimes he will take it and run (he grabs it right from my fingers.. not scared at all haha) sometimes, he will drop it and still attack the pieces in my duncan and tear it from the tentacles.
Most of the time I just give him a big piece and then sit there and sit guard with my sea-squirt(long feeder thing) and 'shoo' him away until the coral gets it down.. but thats only when he is super feisty.
They are greeeeedy though and if im not careful he will rob all the food he can.. he will be in the cave with like 6 pieces of meat.. very frustrating at times! haha
Good Luck
Jess

mch2o

That is to funny can't wait to have problems like that. But I have a long time before my tank can have stuff like that in it. my tank is only been up for 22 days
lol but I'll wait tell the time is right and I have alot of money saved up lol.

shrimpi

not having the money is the best thing actually because it prevents you from buying too much! Its kind of like the reef gods little way of keeping us in check.
I knew someone who got a brand new setup.. completely (I mean COMPLETELY) filled it with fish/corals/inverts in the first WEEK.. and everything died... so he did it again (and bragged about it.. what a moron) and everything died AGAIN.
This was almost two years ago and recently his wife told me that all they can keep alive are some hermits and xenia..
So the moral of the story is.. take your time and that way when you see that coral you MUST have.. at least it wont die on you! What a bummer that would be

It took me almost two years to fill my 24g .. there is no rush

Keep us posted!
Jess